14 yr old hermit crab seems ill

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
AOstroff

14 yr old hermit crab seems ill

Post by AOstroff » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 am

Hi everyone. I used to be a member a long time ago but have not posted in a long time so I reregistered. My 14 yr old hermit crab seems in distress. I think I have done everything right but just want to check in. He often has very long molts. Tho last time he was burried for an extra long amount of time. 4 maybe 5 months. He just came out on Friday. But he was out of his shell. Of course I know that's not good. He went in his cave and I tried to let him be for a couple of days with a shell near him. By Sunday he was still naked. So I did sone further investigation and realized his favorite shell was still buried. I dug up his shell and cleaned out the sand and put it in his cave. The good news is he did go into his old shell! However he still seems pretty lethargic. He did cone out and get sone water but is mostly just in his cave. I am posting today because I was adding a piece of banana to his dish and I realized I think I found an antenna which can't be good. Temp and humidity look correct. I am keeping a towel over 1/2 the cage to keep it darker. He's an old guy so I recognize 14 years in captivity is a pretty long time. But if there are any highly recommended foods or other things I could do to try to help him let me know. Thanks!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 14 yr old hermit crab seems ill

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 am

Organic raw honey for energy, calcium (eggshell, cuttlebone, oystershell, coral, calcium carbonate), protein (chicken,shrimp,krill, plankton,crickets,mealworms)are very important after a molt. Good luck! I hope he makes it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:09 am

I would isolate him from other crabs if possible. Try not to bother him too much.
If there was sand in his shell he may have come out of it to clean it out but ended up getting sand on his abdomen which could be why he came up.

Are you sure he molted? If he doesn't look like he recently molted he may be about to go through a surface molt.

Topic author
AOstroff

Post by AOstroff » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 am

Thank you! I will try to get some calcium and raw honey to him. I forgot about egg shells! That I can easily do today. I am pretty sure he molted because he is pinker then usual. Also I can add some protein for sure. I am hopeful he just lost his shell which put him under stress it was fully buried and packed with sand where I found it. and maybe after some days of low disturbance he will regain his strength. Fingers crossed! Thanks!

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am

Offer him some of his favorites too. They might help his mood. :)
Good luck! I hope he pulls through for you!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

I have had crabs come up from molts without a shell and than find there shell filled with sand, he could be disoriented cause he spent that long without a shell, in the future or if he goes naked again, try and reshell him yourself ASAP.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:36 am

How is your crab doing?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com