Just Brought home Molting crab and he turned blue?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to hermit crabs, only a few months experience. Atvthe per store today I saw a molting hermit crab in with all the other crabs. The store clerk seemed clueless when I asked why he was molting in with all the other crabs (she didn’t even know he was molting) so I brought him home so he could have some isolation and care. I know you’re not supposed to move hermit crabs during morning but she practically tossed him back in the tank and I just couldn’t leave him there.

Only had him a few hours, he’s isolated from my other hermies, with water, food, hiding spot etc. heater is on the opposite side of the tank with the other hermies, but tank temp is 75.

When I first saw him and when we got home his big claw was pale pink. He hasn’t dug down into the substrate. He moved a bit and is on his side and his big claw has turned purple/blue. Help? Does he need to be closer to the heater? Did I mess up and seal his fate of dying? :(

piratetoothgir

Re: Just Brought home Molting crab and he turned blue?

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to hermit crabs, only a few months experience. Atvthe per store today I saw a molting hermit crab in with all the other crabs. The store clerk seemed clueless when I asked why he was molting in with all the other crabs (she didn’t even know he was molting) so I brought him home so he could have some isolation and care. I know you’re not supposed to move hermit crabs during morning but she practically tossed him back in the tank and I just couldn’t leave him there.

Only had him a few hours, he’s isolated from my other hermies, with water, food, hiding spot etc. heater is on the opposite side of the tank with the other hermies, but tank temp is 75.

When I first saw him and when we got home his big claw was pale pink. He hasn’t dug down into the substrate. He moved a bit and is on his side and his big claw has turned purple/blue. Help? Does he need to be closer to the heater? Did I mess up and seal his fate of dying? :(
You didn’t do anything wrong! Kudos to you for saving him :)
When crabs molt, they are soft and often don’t have much color. When molted properly, they come back up looking normal, just slightly different in color or shape.

You have experience the crab recover from his molt, his pincher has turned blue because he is a Caribbean (Purple Pincher) and they often will have dark purple or blue pinchers.

Congrats! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Phew! I was worried I did more harm than good.

I wan to post you a photo but can’t figute out how. I’m on an iPhone.

Should I clean him off (he has bits of dry / coconut fiber on him) or dig a burrow for him? I’m trying to just leave him be.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Phew! I was worried I did more harm than good.

Should I clean him off (he has bits of dry / coconut fiber on him) or dig a burrow for him? I’m trying to just leave him be.
Use Tapatalk, it’s much easier to post a photo from there :)
I wouldn’t do anything physical with him, don’t dig a burrow either. You can suffocate a crab by covering it, because they make a special burrow that humans cannot replicate.
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:19 pm

StellaCrab wrote:

I wouldn’t do anything physical with him, don’t dig a burrow either. You can suffocate a crab by covering it, because they make a special burrow that humans cannot replicate.

Testing post using Tapatalk. Can you see the photo?

He was all pink like that top leg at the store and when I brought him home. Now a few hours later his claw has changed color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:

He was all pink like that top leg at the store and when I brought him home. Now a few hours later his claw has changed color.

Yep, that looks like a fresh molter! Again, it’s not an ideal molt because of his stress from the store, to being moved to a better place.

I would feed him honey, bee pollen, or royal jelly once he starts moving around. That’s a great source of nutrients that give crabs energy :)
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:

This was about 2 hours ago.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 pm

StellaCrab wrote:
Plasmoc wrote:
StellaCrab wrote: Use Tapatalk, it’s much easier to post a photo from there :)

Yep, that looks like a fresh molter! Again, it’s not an ideal molt because of his stress from the store, to being moved to a better place.

I would feed him honey, bee pollen, or royal jelly once he starts moving around. That’s a great source of nutrients that give crabs energy :)
Will do thanks again!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:
Plasmoc wrote:

Will do thanks again!

Welcome :)
Crabber Since 2016

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Did you get his shed skin? If not, he needs a replacement source of calcium and minerals or he may not harden properly. Eggshells will go a long way to help him, as will dried shrimp or plankton (fish food aisle!).

The most complete thing that can be offered would be other crab exo like dungeness, snow, or king if you can get any! He wouldn't need much.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 pm

I didn’t see any shedding in the store tank. Im not sure if he ate it or others did.

Right now he has water, hermit crab pellet & shrimp Medeley, and calcium supplement. I’ll add honey too I need to get some from the store in the morning (no grocers open now).

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 pm

wodesorel wrote:Did you get his shed skin? If not, he needs a replacement source of calcium and minerals or he may not harden properly. Eggshells will go a long way to help him, as will dried shrimp or plankton (fish food aisle!).

The most complete thing that can be offered would be other crab exo like dungeness, snow, or king if you can get any! He wouldn't need much.

Where would I get king crab exo etc? Pet store?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Fish counter at the grocery store.

I know there was one hermit crab store that used to sell it, but it doesn't look like they do anymore. I'm not sure if any of the others do.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Just chiming in that pellet food really isn’t the best for them—most brands have filler and other junk in them that they don’t need and can ultimately be quite unhealthy for them.

I would also cover him with a hut of some sort, or anything else you can do to make it dark. It will simulate the conditions under the sand and help him finish up his molt and give him privacy. Crossing fingers that he makes it through! :)

Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:39 am

hermitharbor wrote:Just chiming in that pellet food really isn’t the best for them—most brands have filler and other junk in them that they don’t need and can ultimately be quite unhealthy for them.

I would also cover him with a hut of some sort, or anything else you can do to make it dark. It will simulate the conditions under the sand and help him finish up his molt and give him privacy. Crossing fingers that he makes it through! Image

Huh, I didn’t realize pellet food was bad when supplemented with other foods, thank you for letting me know! I also feed them strawberries, dried mango, honey nut Cheerios, lentils, quinoa, crushed sunflower seeds, blueberries, etc. What other foods should I be giving them? The list of approved foods is so long I’m not sure how to give them a balanced diet without the pellets & shrimp too.

I just gave the new Guy the pellets & shrimp& calcium because its what he’s used to in he store. I’ll give honey today too and I bought the jelly but it won’t be here for a few days.

I had some plants making a cave like area for him, but he moved away from them and nestled next to another plant so I’ve left him like that. I should move the plant to gently cover him again?