Donations

Please Help us out by donating!

Your contribution help pay for hosting and other site maintenance!

Sub Menu
Search

Terminix is coming!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Please use a real subject and not just "HELP!" Someone will help you as soon as possible.

Moderators: soilentgringa, Moderators (Senior), Moderators (Junior), Moderators (Standard)

Terminix is coming!

PostAuthor: Lrborange5 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:02 am

I'm having terminix come on Friday and I need advice!
I was told putting a damp towel over the crab tank wouldn't hurt my crabs.ill be devastated if this kills my crabs. I'm afraid it will also taint the sand. I have 6 crabs all together in a large glass tank. Also afraid the sand will break threw the bottom and not only break my tank but that could kill them. 3 are possibly molting. 3 are out an about,I can put in my spare tank. Iv also read not to dig up hermit crabs. 1 crab might of just went into molting. The 2 larger crabs have been missing all summer and before summer. I'm afraid could be dead.
I don't have much time to figure out what to do.
Something tells me not to take my chances and leave them in here with terminix coming. I just don't know what to do.

Lrborange5

Re: Terminix is coming!

PostAuthor: wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 am

What will they be doing? If they are just going to be spraying, I would recommend sealing the tank well with plastic wrap and maybe a towel overnight. That isn't very airborn and will dry quickly. If they are doing any kind of fogging (do they even do that anymore?) then it would be safer to remove the entire tank and anything for the hermits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See photos of all my pets @ wodesorel.com
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

PostAuthor: Lrborange5 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Terminix is coming to treat bedbugs and moths. I was thinking of using plastic wrap too but wasn't sure if the crabs would suffocate. The guy said it will be 4 hours when they lock the door before we can go in. He also said putting a towel over it would be fine.then in the prep paper said to use a damp towel.
And it would be less work to use plastic wrap and then a damp towel over. This helps me thank you.

Lrborange5

PostAuthor: Lrborange5 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

The only way to remove the tank out of the house is to take out some sand. The tank is to heavy with all that sand.I have a smaller tank I could put some sand and crabs in and lift the tanks out safely. I know its more work but I might want to do this and hope I don't run into any molting crabs. I might be able to solve the mystery on if there's any dead hermits .

Lrborange5

PostAuthor: wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:10 pm

If you have to vacate for a period of time it might be best to remove the hermits if you have any concerns. Sealing the tank up should be enough though. I tend to be overly cautious when it comes to pesticides and invertebrates - I am sure there are people out there who have done it as directed by the company and it's been fine! They don't want unhappy customers.
See photos of all my pets @ wodesorel.com
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

PostAuthor: Lrborange5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 am

I'm going to plastic wrap it good.then put damp towels over it.then put the lid over top of that. Collecting all my crab food and stuff and leave it out the house till its safe.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do my best with this and hope everything works out ok. Ill let you know how it works out.

Lrborange5

PostAuthor: Lrborange5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

My hermit crabs lived! :)
I sprayed the sand with water real good and put fresh water and food for them.
I used a whole roll of plastic wrap and a whole thing of scotch tape. Covered it with a damp towel then a dry towel then the lid.
Might seem a little too much but I was so worried about my little buddies.
I was pleased to see how high it brought up the humidity.
I'm so glad I went to HCA. I'm looking forward to getting more involved with this group. :)

Lrborange5

Return to Emergency