Crab escaped, found empty shell...

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
SageyGoose

Re: Crab escaped, found empty shell...

Post by SageyGoose » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm
Thanks curly. Very interesting. So now the question. What type of vinegar? White vinegar?
Good point, hadn't thought of that. Hermie (who just came up) ate a tone of the brine shrimp, so we gave it
more and some honey. Honey and apple to Crabbie i.e. escapist, heh. Coconut oil tomorrow I'm thinking.

Good news, Crabbie changed shells again, from the larger one we set it next to right after the rescue to one that seems more snug, so he's trying actively to get comfy, which is great.

Hermie still hasn't changed, giving him time to explore shells.

Scuttle, a pinch is not a bad trade ;)

EDIT: Is water passed through an activated carbon filter, like Brita, ok? I thought bottled was fine, gotta check this too..

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:17 am

A Brita doesn't necessarily remove all the necessary things that should be removed, so the general consensus is no, that's not enough.
Bottled water is not all the same. If it is RO (reverse osmosis) or distilled, some people feel that is okay (personally, I use RO water). But 'spring' water or any other type of bottled isn't considered safe because it isn't consistent as to what is or isn't in it. The safest (and cheapest) is to treat tap water with one of the dechlorinators that removes everything from the water. And then to add Instant Ocean for the salt water. The care sheet about water explains what each of the dechlorinators removes, and what is important.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 am

Just to add on the water... I had used bottled Aquafina water with EE right after bought my crabs from boardwalk and reading here which my one had successfully molted in for a little over 4 weeks.
Was trying to give them something with temp/humidity/sub after reading the care guides here and I realized that the boardwalk handout was complete BS.

I read that bottled water isn't good because they all vary and decided to read labels on a few different brands. Their are multiple brands that have fine, fine print that "x mineral added for flavor" etc. Thought that was interesting as I've always just assumed bottled water would be good to go. Also, really no idea what is removed or added from the water unless you get a few of the brands like the one I saw stating what was added for flavor or whatever.

But yeah, I have well water and it's probably safe out of the faucet (I've tested for chlorine for koi pond and there is none, but still use stress coat for em), but I just keep a gallon of freshwater with a few drops of prime and a gallon of saltwater until they run low. Very cost effective as well.

Topic author
SageyGoose

Post by SageyGoose » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks for all the water advice, many great points made that we hadn't fully considered. We've since been treating all the water as suggested =).

Safe to say now the crisis is over! =D. Both Hermie and Crabbie are doing well, together at last. Both have changed shells now, Hermie twice, and they're enjoying their Crabitat in peace and friendship. :crabbigsmile: (And safety, with climbable objects further from the top, heh.)

Thanks to all!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 am

SageyGoose wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:19 am
Thanks for all the water advice, many great points made that we hadn't fully considered. We've since been treating all the water as suggested =).

Safe to say now the crisis is over! =D. Both Hermie and Crabbie are doing well, together at last. Both have changed shells now, Hermie twice, and they're enjoying their Crabitat in peace and friendship. :crabbigsmile: (And safety, with climbable objects further from the top, heh.)

Thanks to all!

:clap:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi