Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
lemonade2

Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Post by lemonade2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:12 pm

I had a molter come up last night around 11pm, and he and my other crab were fine until about ten minutes ago when I found my molter NAKED!!!! My bigger crab had stolen the littler crab's shell. Anyways, the naked crab is in a shell now, but I'm still worried.

The molter wasn't harmed or anything, so should I worry about him being attacked, or was it just a secluded incident and all the bigger one wanted was a shell? I also think I should get some more shells, so can anyone please link me to any place that sells shells in packs? I remember seeing some shell bundles being sold before!

(My temperature, humidity, substrate, and salt water/food is fine in my tank if anyone was wondering..

megmaholm

Re: Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm glad he re-shelled! That must have been so scary. I don't see any reason it would happen again, but obviously keep an eye on the situation. You can never have too many shells! What size range are you looking for? A lot of places sell packages of shells - thehermitcrabpatch.com does, and I've also had success on eBay and Etsy. Check out the HCA' shopping resources (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html) for more places to buy shells as well :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:39 pm

megmaholm wrote:I'm glad he re-shelled! That must have been so scary. I don't see any reason it would happen again, but obviously keep an eye on the situation. You can never have too many shells! What size range are you looking for? A lot of places sell packages of shells - thehermitcrabpatch.com does, and I've also had success on eBay and Etsy. Check out the HCA' shopping resources (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html) for more places to buy shells as well :)
Just ordered a pack of shells! Thanks for the link :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:50 pm

No problem! I hope your crabbies love them. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

MissFrost

Post by MissFrost » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:26 pm

http://naplesseashellcompany.com/ is a great place to look. Their opening sizes are pretty accurate (in my experience) and they also sell in packs.

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

In a pinch you can check Michaels or Walmart, they sometimes have shells.
Do you have space to set up an ISO tank?
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer