Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
lemonade2

Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Post by lemonade2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:12 pm

I had a molter come up last night around 11pm, and he and my other crab were fine until about ten minutes ago when I found my molter NAKED!!!! My bigger crab had stolen the littler crab's shell. Anyways, the naked crab is in a shell now, but I'm still worried.

The molter wasn't harmed or anything, so should I worry about him being attacked, or was it just a secluded incident and all the bigger one wanted was a shell? I also think I should get some more shells, so can anyone please link me to any place that sells shells in packs? I remember seeing some shell bundles being sold before!

(My temperature, humidity, substrate, and salt water/food is fine in my tank if anyone was wondering..

megmaholm

Re: Shell stolen from newly surfaced molter!!!!

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm glad he re-shelled! That must have been so scary. I don't see any reason it would happen again, but obviously keep an eye on the situation. You can never have too many shells! What size range are you looking for? A lot of places sell packages of shells - thehermitcrabpatch.com does, and I've also had success on eBay and Etsy. Check out the HCA' shopping resources (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html) for more places to buy shells as well :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:39 pm

megmaholm wrote:I'm glad he re-shelled! That must have been so scary. I don't see any reason it would happen again, but obviously keep an eye on the situation. You can never have too many shells! What size range are you looking for? A lot of places sell packages of shells - thehermitcrabpatch.com does, and I've also had success on eBay and Etsy. Check out the HCA' shopping resources (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... pping.html) for more places to buy shells as well :)
Just ordered a pack of shells! Thanks for the link :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:50 pm

No problem! I hope your crabbies love them. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

MissFrost

Post by MissFrost » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:26 pm

http://naplesseashellcompany.com/ is a great place to look. Their opening sizes are pretty accurate (in my experience) and they also sell in packs.

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

In a pinch you can check Michaels or Walmart, they sometimes have shells.
Do you have space to set up an ISO tank?
"An ounce of demonstration is worth a ton of theory."
—Rudyard Kipling