New Crab no big pincher seems kind of slow

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Melissa21

New Crab no big pincher seems kind of slow

Post by Melissa21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 pm

So I was at Petco to get hamster food and I happened to walk past the hermit crabs. There was one right in front in a bright pink shell that caught my eye .. long story short he was dead and I happened to see another in and E shell I believe one of the longer ones with a small opening and his legs were sticking out so far so I bought him.

I have had crabs for almost 2 years now. I have a 30 gallon.. with a heater, shells, etc all of that heat and temp are good.. instant ocean for salt water, fresh water ..

Whenever I get a new crab I put him in a separate smaller tank to change shells, eat and whatever. Usually after about 30 minutes he's good to go in with the others.

This one didn't come out of the shell for a good 30 minutes and then moved so slow and just sat there so I moved food right next to him. He still just sat there so I dumped the food out right in front of him and he started chowing down for a good 20 minutes or longer. Then I noticed he was missing his BP. I fed him a mix of calcium, meat, fruit, veggies powdered form that I got from the HCP. Once I noticed the BP gone I cut up some fresh coconut as tiny as i could and put some honey over it because he's so slow and he wasn't scared of me. I used a tweezers and fed it to him. Once I realized the BP was gone I got the iso tank all ready (10 gallon with 2 heat mats stuck on the side). I just put him in there right by the food dish and it's been 10 minutes and he's non stop eating again (i did put calcium and meat in there as I read that's what they need when missing a BP). And then in a separate dish I put coconut with honey. No fruit or veggies now. Should I put some in there with the other food?

He does now seem to be moving around more. And he just made a chirping noise. So hopefully a nice full time will help him. Is there anything else I can do for him? Other than leave him alone now? He's got a coconut hut in there and some moss.

Topic author
Melissa21

Re: New Crab no big pincher seems kind of slow

Post by Melissa21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

Well, I think he'll be ok. He at some more last night and then dug down.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:20 am

Great! He just reeeeeally needed a molt and you gave him the proper conditions so now hes trying to do it. Leave water out for him and some protein, sweets, and calcium, in case hes just destressing and still needs to eat. Otherwise keep his iso dark and hope for a speedy molt. He will be able to manage fine without a bp, but molting is his first line of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:48 am

How long should I keep him in ISO? Do I wait till his BP is fully grown back?

I think I've got everything covered you mentioned besides keeping the tank dark. I'll go stick a towel over the majority of it.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 am

Melissa21 wrote:How long should I keep him in ISO? Do I wait till his BP is fully grown back?
He should stay in ISO until he regains his strength and can get around/acts normal. I think some have kept crabs with missing pinchers in ISO for several molts (sometimes they try and pull back to back molts, takes a ton of energy for them to do this and keeping them safe from everyone else in the process is important). It depends on how fast he recovers and if you think he can handle the main tank. I haven't had to deal with this (very thankful for that) so maybe someone who has has some better info to offer but if it were me I'd keep him in ISO for a while and try to give him ample time to regrow his pincher and regain his strength.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Yes I want him to be safe and not stressed so I'll just see how it goes, but for the near future I'll leave him be.

I do have one more question.. the shell he came in. From what I believe it's not a shell most PP would choose. All my crabs are PP. And he had absolutely no interest in changing into a turbo shell last night. Maybe he just wasn't in the mood or too busy eating or not enough energy or whatever... anyways should I order a few similar to what he is in? Since he's in that kind now he may prefer them over the turbo's? Or will it be safe to just wait a couple weeks and decide then.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Do you know what kind of shell he is in? He may prefer turbos once he's molted or he just be off beat (I have an off beat crab that loves her murexes. Doesn't even bat an eye at turbos lol) it may be that the shell he's in is light and good for now since he's probably gonna molt soon as is missing his pincher. I'd probably order some shells, some turbos around his size maybe a few slightly bigger and then maybe a few of what he's wearing if you really wanna give him lots of options. I've ordered several times from Naples and have always been very happy with what they send me.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:40 pm

I don't know the name of the shell but I am pretty sure I've seen it on here someone and it's ones E's prefer or strawberries prefer maybe? I just know not PP's. He was the only one out of 10 or so at the pet store in a shell like this.

I do have plenty of turbos in all different sizes. I've ordered some from Naples, Deltona and Hermit Crab Patch. I did just get 2 orders in last week so I'd prefer to not have to place another order so soon. But I don't want him to not have new shells he wants to switch into.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye on him and see if he changes in the next few days and if he's been up and not changing by Monday I'll place an order for shells similar to what he's in.

I know I've read just because I think a shell is too small it doesn't mean he thinks it's too small especially if he's in it.. but when he pulls into the shell he has his legs still out pretty far. I highly doubt his BP would have went into that shell.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:11 pm

That's understandable. I thinking keeping an eye on him is a good idea. Maybe rotate the shells you give him just to give him lots of options. He'll change when he's ready.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:34 pm

You can find whale eye or shark eye shells (d opening) in the $1 shell decor bags from dollar general. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am

I did find some d opening shells in my box of odd ones. :) I have 13 shells all lined up around the edges of the tank, 9 are turbos.

I haven't seen him since he first dug down. Food and shells are all just how I set them. So hopefully he's molting or getting ready to!

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:59 am

Hoping he's doing alright. Still no sign of him coming up at all.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:23 am

I have had several missing legs (not BP - but legs) that are small yet taken 6 weeks. Try not to worry. Just have faith in him. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
Melissa21

Post by Melissa21 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 am

Still no sign of him coming up yet.

In need of suggestions on what to be feeding him?

All I really have is various powdered type food from the hermit crab patch. It's what my other crabs seem to like best. But it really goes bad after 24 hours and I have wasted a lot in the ISO tank waiting on this crab to come up. There have been a couple days here and there where I just don't put any food in there.. but I don't want him coming up with nothing. When he does come up though, I'll prepare him a feast!!

Is there something else I could try that would last a few days before going bad?

hermitcrab101

Post by hermitcrab101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am

Melissa21 wrote:Still no sign of him coming up yet.

In need of suggestions on what to be feeding him?

All I really have is various powdered type food from the hermit crab patch. It's what my other crabs seem to like best. But it really goes bad after 24 hours and I have wasted a lot in the ISO tank waiting on this crab to come up. There have been a couple days here and there where I just don't put any food in there.. but I don't want him coming up with nothing. When he does come up though, I'll prepare him a feast!!

Is there something else I could try that would last a few days before going bad?

Worm castings, calcium powder and freeze dried insects last a very long time and are great for crabs. Honey is also really good to feed to weak crabs, but it does get gross after awhile.