Somehow he's back on the surface...with no limbs. Yikes!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermitharbor

Somehow he's back on the surface...with no limbs. Yikes!

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Long story short: somehow, one of my small crabs appeared on the surface totally limbless. It's a good thing I checked to see if he was okay (I saw a bit of his shell when I lifted up a log that had been dug under so I got curious and picked him up since he was due back up from a molt) because I don't think he would have made it much longer. I honestly have no earthly clue as to how he managed to get back to the surface. What I do know is this: he's alive, alert, and seems to want to live, so I'm going to facilitate that in any way I can.

I've manage to get most of the sand out of his shell, but I need to get the rest out. I need to do this in a way so I don't stress him out more than I already have though. Any ideas? I also have been able to feed him some peanut butter and honey, and he's been eating it. He's currently sitting in the coconut hide that hangs from the glass (it's a bird hide, lol) where it's semi-dark. He's away from the other crabs (only two others up currently) and seems to be okay for now. I'm going to try and figure out a more permanent situation to keep him isolated in the tank since I don't have the means to set up an iso, but for now that's where he is.

Beyond having to hand feed and water him and keep him dark, isolated and quiet, what else do I need to do? I've never had a situation like this before, but I have read about it on here. What are the chances of him pulling through? I'm really quite upset right now, so any words of encouragement would help greatly :oops: It's my worst nightmare and now I can't help but worry about my other guys. I'm not one to really worry anymore when they go down and stay longer than anticipated, but now with this it's hard not to.

Oh, and I know I haven't posted here in a while (life is crazy) but tank conditions are just where they need to be, plenty of sub, fresh and salt water, all natural foods, etc. There was no foreseeable reason why this should have happened, but they've all been digging and a stumble-upon while he was molting is what I'm thinking. Don't know for sure but that's my theory. Definitely unexpected and very stressful. Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

megmaholm

Re: Somehow he's back on the surface...with no limbs. Yikes!

Post by megmaholm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:05 pm

That's terrifying, I'm so sorry! I don't think it'll hurt to have some sand in his shell, and if won't come out from a gentle bathing it should be okay to leave.

I think offering food multiple times a day is the best thing to do - honey and peanut butter are great. You can also do organic baby food, etc. Powder up some egg shell or cuttlebone to mix with his food so he's getting calcium as well. I would put him in a shallow dish of water several times a day so he can drink - maybe put him in saltwater first, then freshwater?

I've read some good success stories on crabs in similar situations pulling through, so don't lose hope!

Check out this topic: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 67&t=92528 It has some general info and links to stories from different members who have taken care of crabs missing multiple limbs.

Definitely keep us updated, and good luck!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:12 pm

I would keep a normal day/night cycle until he starts refusing food and is obviously going to molt. Once he's there, then provide privacy and darkness with a well placed hide.
Great advice above and it really sounds like you've got this! Please keep us updated on his condition.

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks guys! Trying to breathe :)

I got him out again and was able to get most of the sand out. He was moving around in the shell and coming out more, and I was able to give him some water. He wasn't wanting to come out and lean over the water dish, so I was just dripping it on the edge of the shell and letting him lap it up, and from a Q-tip as well. Hopefully once he's not so traumatized he will feel more confident and come out a bit and be able to drink better. I'll definitely be offering him all of the powdered food I have (got lots of it from HCP) and I will see if I can crush up my sand dollars enough to be able to get some calcium to him as well. If not the sand dollars, then I guess I'll go eat an egg and save the shell ;) I will keep him on a normal cycle, and try to keep everything like it should be if he was up and about as normal. Any ideas on what to isolate him in? Was thinking a small tupperware. Just have to figure out where to put it. Hmm! I will definitely keep you guys updated. I will feel so much better if he makes it through the night. Right now the signs he's giving me are good, so I'm not losing hope quite yet.

EDIT: Just went to look in on him, and there's a little bit of moss in the hide and he's currently all stretched out in it and has his head buried and his mouth parts going to work. What a spunky little guy, that made me smile and I feel a bit better now :)
Last edited by hermitharbor on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:34 pm

DressageQueen wrote:Thanks guys! Trying to breathe :)

I got him out again and was able to get most of the sand out. He was moving around in the shell and coming out more, and I was able to give him some water. He wasn't wanting to come out and lean over the water dish, so I was just dripping it on the edge of the shell and letting him lap it up, and from a Q-tip as well. Hopefully once he's not so traumatized he will feel more confident and come out a bit and be able to drink better. I'll definitely be offering him all of the powdered food I have (got lots of it from HCP) and I will see if I can crush up my sand dollars enough to be able to get some calcium to him as well. If not the sand dollars, then I guess I'll go eat an egg and save the shell ;) I will keep him on a normal cycle, and try to keep everything like it should be if he was up and about as normal. Any ideas on what to isolate him in? Was thinking a small tupperware. Just have to figure out where to put it. Hmm! I will definitely keep you guys updated. I will feel so much better if he makes it through the night. Right now the signs he's giving me are good, so I'm not losing hope quite yet.
Definitely breathe! ;) A tupperware container will work great as an iso. Is there room in your main tank for you to leave it in there to maintain proper conditions? You can put some moss in there for him to hang out on, and poke a few holes in the lid so he has fresh air. If it won't fit in the tank, just put it in a quiet, warm section of the house. If you need to do that, the moss will also help keep it nice and humid for him.

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:42 pm

I just edited my last post, but there's a little bit of moss in the hide and he's all stretched out in it and looking happy. This guy's got spunk! Seeing him moving out on his own makes me think this might just work out. I think I will be able to fit a small one in there, just gotta do some rearranging. It's a 36g bowfront, so there's room, just gotta situate it somewhere. I think I will be putting some moss in there too since he seems to like it.

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 pm

So, update!

He's currently hanging out like this, with a tiny little tupperware all his own with his own buffet. What a spoiled little man he is! He's quite perky and seems to be doing well. He's chowing down on a mixture of honey, peanut butter, soil supplement, and nutrient supplement (both from HCP). I'll leave him like that for the night and see how he is in the morning. Fingers crossed that he will make it through the night!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:57 am

I just had one like that who was attacked while molting. Mine had 2 legs. She ate and drank twice a day for 3 days, then stopped. That is when I made her a cave in her iso, and the next day, she was in it and starting her molt. It has only been a week or so, so we have a way to go. But every indication is that they pull through fine.

The big problem is, who did the dirty deed, and can we prevent it from happening again? That is what scares me.
Keep updating.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 am

DressageQueen wrote: EDIT: Just went to look in on him, and there's a little bit of moss in the hide and he's currently all stretched out in it and has his head buried and his mouth parts going to work. What a spunky little guy, that made me smile and I feel a bit better now :)
What a tough little crabby! Sounds like he's well on his way. :D

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 am

He made it through the night!

Looks like I'll have to set up some sort of ISO for him, because Nora is a nosy little thing and was on the tupperware and messing with it in no time when I did food and water changes. Tucked him in a blanket and set him outside of the tank for the night, and he seemed to be fine. I should be able to set something up with the extra stuff I have laying around. Yay for him! :crabbigsmile:

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:39 am

Great news!! He sounds like a fighter. You're awesome for taking such good care of him :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 am

A fighting spirit is all these amazing creatures need! Along with your care and devotion, he will make a speedy recovery!
Please pardon me for asking, but how much sub is in your tank? The photo seems to show 2-3 inches.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:52 pm

I hope I can give him the care he needs to get him healthy again. I'm hopeful!

Sub is 7-8 inches, depending where you measure since they like to make a mess of things. It must be the angle, because I see what you mean! It was hard getting a decent picture, that's for sure.

Still doing great, he's back in the tank now since he won't be bothered by Nora with her sleeping during the day. Plan on getting him set up better today. Is there any way for him to possibly hop into a smaller shell? The one he has now is very lightweight, but it was already pretty big for him before this happened. I would think he'd find it easier to manage in something smaller, but is it even physically possible for him to switch? I wouldn't think it would be, but figured I'd ask just in case :)

MeganM

Post by MeganM » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Wow what an amazing little guy! My fingers are crossed for y'all!!! Would love to see pictures as he progresses.

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 5 PPs Hermie, Hermione, Poseidon, Odin, and Zenon

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm

He has passed.

He was gone when I came home this morning. I'm house sitting, so instead of taking him with me like I did the other night I decided to leave him at home since my house is much warmer and it's less stressful. He was acting lethargic and wasn't responding as well yesterday, so I had a feeling that he wasn't doing well. I was hoping he was just tired and trying to gather his strength, but alas, he was on his way out. I did everything I could for him, although I can't help but think that I could have done better, or more. Maybe I shouldn't have taken him with me, as I fear the cold (was barely able to keep him at 70) and the stress of moving may have contributed to his passing. I was terrified to leave him and not be able to monitor his condition, though, so it really was well-intentioned. Guess I'll never know :oops: I suppose that's how it goes though, thinking about what you could have done or what you should have done. Very sad and quite down at the moment, but I'm happy that he is no longer suffering and I was able to make his last days pleasant. Thank you for all of your advice and help, I truly appreciate it. I love being part of such a great community :)