WEAK DYING???

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
citiliviey

WEAK DYING???

Post by citiliviey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 pm

I got an E a week ago and he was right under the water dish today so I picked him up to see how he was doing . His eyes were covered in sand so I gave him a spritz to clean them up . I brought him to my bed because he looked lethargic . He has been on my bed now for 15 minutes with me . He claws the ground, but isn't crawling around . He doesn't react to me coming near him, he used to FREAK when I first got him . Every move he makes, he is sloooooooowwwww . His eyes are droopy and cloudy ? He won't fully contract into his shell . And his limbs are VERY weak . He is already in his own terrarium . Please please help . Thank you .ImageImagehttps://vimeo.com/123375782

Topic author
citiliviey

Re: WEAK DYING???

Post by citiliviey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 pm

His crabitat is at 80-85 degrees and about 70-75% humidity . He has lots of hiding places, coconut, and FW . What else can I do to help him ?

hthecvt

Post by hthecvt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:50 pm

If he was under the water dish, he may have been trying to molt and you interrupted him. But him in iso, nice and dark, and leave him alone. He may finish molting or you may lose him. :(

<3 Gladys, Zeus, Maude, Tango, (Unnamed) and Paul! <3

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 pm

If he was kind of buried under the water dish are you sure you he wasn't trying to molt? Either way you should put him back in the tank. Keeping him in the tank with the correct conditions and not touching him will prevent un-needed stress.

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Oh my goodness, I should have known . I've never had a molted, I will put him in ISO right now . Any thing else I could put in the ISO to help ?

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:53 pm

mynameisH beat me too it. Glad someone else had the same ideas though!

rml6f4

WEAK DYING???

Post by rml6f4 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Dig a little indent/hole in the sand and put him in it. But do NOT bury him or put any sand on top of him. And yes, as mentioned keep it completely dark to simulate a normal molting environment.

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Okay . I will put dig a bit out of the furthest, darkest corner . And I definitely won't bury him . Thank you both . Any tips on how to handle a molt well ? As I said, I have never had one .

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:09 pm

He was probably in the middle of molting. Like rml6f4 says, put him in a pothole and make it dark (by covering with something light and flat or a hide), but do not bury him.
Do not ever remove a below-ground crab. If he is in a bad spot, such as under a dish, just put the dish back lightly without smashing his face in. Knowing that his spot's safety is compromised, he will either finish molting and get the heck away, or he will halt molting and get the heck away and find a safer spot.
If you think a crab is stressed or ill don't put them in a place like your bed. The entire surrounding will feel alien and stress him out. Instead, if you must move him out of the tank, have a small hospital ISO prepared with materials fr the main tank. That way the suroundings don't seem as different, including keeping the warmth and humidity that crabs thrive in.
Hopefully he is naturally a tough one and will resolvd his molt. Good luck, do your best.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm sorry for the mistakes, I don't think as much as I should sometimes . I will never remove one again, and thank you for letting me know that . I sure hope Dakota (named him) pulls through . And yes, I didn't think of how different he would feel then . Thank you both and I will keep updated .

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:53 am

Yes, definitely keep us posted! The best case scenario would be for Dakota to finish molting and just show up, eating and drinking. Otherwise, you could end up waiting over a month to see him again. In any case, be patient and keep food and water so fresh and so clean.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I found him this morning out of his shell . Thought he was dead until I realized his soft body was inside of the shell curled up, at least I believe that is what I saw . I did not touch ANYTHING . But, he is still where I left him, I've heard the term surface molt, is that what is happening ? I've never had a molter so still a bit overwhelmed . How do I keep him in the dark but still keep him warm ? Will the heat from the lamp go through whatever I use to cover the top ? Here are some pictures, (camera wasn't cooperating) .ImageImageImageImageImage

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 pm

It seems like he is molting, and you are seeing his legs behind him. Just leave him and put a hide or plastic cup (or something not heavy) over him that will block out the light. Dont peek at him until he moves the cup or you smell the death smell.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Will he be able to breathe ? And also, does the exo smell like death ? Will he be able to get out of the cup if he needs to ? Does a styrofoam cup work ? Should I put an air hole ? How will he get humidity in there ?
Maybe a small hide away with a small opening and I can spritz in there ?

Topic author
citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Any foods I should put in there to offer ?