Is my hermit crab dead or molting?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Overlordsheepie

Is my hermit crab dead or molting?

Post by Overlordsheepie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Okay. Let me start from the beginning..

About a month ago, I adopted some hermit crabs from PetSmart, I checked their conditions, and it was the best conditions of all the stores I had previously went to (None had humidity, this one did). When I brought them home, they all went to their safe spots (Aka, under the log). About a week later, one of them buried themselves. I waited for a month to check on it, and I saw it was still alive, so I didn't bother it. About a couple weeks later, I was cleaning the tank, digging around and such, and I found the hermit crab that had been buried previously. I put him on the surface, and put everything back. He became active and seemed healthy for a while. Then about a week ago, he started acting lethargic. Then that escalated into him blankly staring and being unresponsive to my movements. He only moved when I picked him up (Yeah, I'm sorry, bad idea). This morning, I saw he was hanging out of his shell, and being stupid me, I picked him up, and he slid out of his shell. He's now a lump of hermit crab in the tank, and I don't know if I should put him back in his shell if he is molting or not. I moved him under a log because I've heard that hermit crabs can dry up without protection from their shell. I sniffed him, and it had a slight, small odor, not that fishy, but slightly. I don't have an isolation tank, and I don't want to cause any more stress than I've done to him/her, and all the other hermit crabs are under the surface.

I've probably killed my hermit crab from all the stress of picking it up and moving it (I'm sorry, I was worried sick), but is there a chance it could still live? :(

marandashermies

Re: Is my hermit crab dead or molting?

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Overlordsheepie wrote:Okay. Let me start from the beginning..

About a month ago, I adopted some hermit crabs from PetSmart, I checked their conditions, and it was the best conditions of all the stores I had previously went to (None had humidity, this one did). When I brought them home, they all went to their safe spots (Aka, under the log). About a week later, one of them buried themselves. I waited for a month to check on it, and I saw it was still alive, so I didn't bother it. About a couple weeks later, I was cleaning the tank, digging around and such, and I found the hermit crab that had been buried previously. I put him on the surface, and put everything back. He became active and seemed healthy for a while. Then about a week ago, he started acting lethargic. Then that escalated into him blankly staring and being unresponsive to my movements. He only moved when I picked him up (Yeah, I'm sorry, bad idea). This morning, I saw he was hanging out of his shell, and being stupid me, I picked him up, and he slid out of his shell. He's now a lump of hermit crab in the tank, and I don't know if I should put him back in his shell if he is molting or not. I moved him under a log because I've heard that hermit crabs can dry up without protection from their shell. I sniffed him, and it had a slight, small odor, not that fishy, but slightly. I don't have an isolation tank, and I don't want to cause any more stress than I've done to him/her, and all the other hermit crabs are under the surface.

I've probably killed my hermit crab from all the stress of picking it up and moving it (I'm sorry, I was worried sick), but is there a chance it could still live? :(

It sounds like he has passed on to crabbie heaven. :( Do you smell any distinct rotten fish smell coming from him? It might be too soon, but if he is dead, you will smell it.
I know its hard for us humans to wait on these crabs when they molt, but you want to make sure you never, ever dig them up! No matter how curious or worried you are. This was more than likely the cause of his death. Depending on the size of the crab, it can take several weeks to a few months for the crabs to molt, even longer if they need to distress. He was probably distressing and or molting and being that he got disturbed, he passed. Crabs also go through something called PPS after purchased, there is a link explaining that below, which could also be a huge factor. Please fill out the emergency template below so we can help you further! Also, check out the care guides, they are WONDERFUL! :) So sorry to hear about your poor guy, its never easy losing one and crabbing is a learning experience for everyone!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 51&t=92457
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92531

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
Overlordsheepie

Post by Overlordsheepie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 pm

marandashermies wrote:
Overlordsheepie wrote:Okay. Let me start from the beginning..

It sounds like he has passed on to crabbie heaven. :( Do you smell any distinct rotten fish smell coming from him? It might be too soon, but if he is dead, you will smell it.
I know its hard for us humans to wait on these crabs when they molt, but you want to make sure you never, ever dig them up! No matter how curious or worried you are. This was more than likely the cause of his death. Depending on the size of the crab, it can take several weeks to a few months for the crabs to molt, even longer if they need to distress. He was probably distressing and or molting and being that he got disturbed, he passed. Crabs also go through something called PPS after purchased, there is a link explaining that below, which could also be a huge factor. Please fill out the emergency template below so we can help you further! Also, check out the care guides, they are WONDERFUL! :) So sorry to hear about your poor guy, its never easy losing one and crabbing is a learning experience for everyone!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 51&t=92457
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92531

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? I use playsand mixed with eco earth, and it is about 5 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? The gauges are located about 2/3 to the top of the aquarium. It is usually 80-85 degrees during the day, with around 60-75 ish humidity during the day (at night around 80, but I open the tank flap to aerate it.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? I use 15 watt bulbs to heat the aquarium in addition to a heat pad at night.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? I have freshwater and saltwater dishes available 24/7 to my hermit crabs. I use Aqueon Water Conditioner and Instant Ocean to treat the water (I use the recommended dosages on the back of the bottle/box).

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I feed my hermit crabs vegetables and fruit (aka, romaine lettuce, carrots, bananas, avocado, tomatoes, grapes, and meat like sun-dried shrimp, freeze-dried bloodworms, and river shrimp.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I've had the crab for a little less than 2 months. They are all Purple claws/pinchers.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I've never experienced any of my crabs molt.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A 10 gallon glass aquarium. With a Incandescent all glass full aquarium hood (basically an aquarium hood, not screen lid).

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? Three hermit crabs (Including the one this post is about). All around golfball size, the one who may be dead was the runt of the pack.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Around 5 shells are around the tank. I took out the ones that were not favored by the population.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? Not that I can think of.. We don't use any chemicals around that area.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't had to do a full clean of the tank, since we've had the hermit crabs for a little less than two months. I clean the water dishes and food dish with water and wipe them dry. Occasionally I've dipped the decorations in hot treated water.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No, I've stopped using sponges for a while now. When I did, I only cleaned them by squeezing them out in saltwater if they looked dirty.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No. I will soon though, I will add some new wood into the tank.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Nothing new so far, the other hermit crabs have been buried underground for about 3-4 weeks now. So the only crab on the surface was the guy who might be dead.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I believe he has passed, I smell a fishy smell, but I will wait to take him out until the morning in case I was just smelling moist sand.

I feel really bad about my hermit crab, and I hope I'm taking care of them okay.

mool

Post by mool » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:53 am

It sounds like your tank perimeters are well within acceptable limits, except for the humidity, it's a little low. See if you can try to raise it up to 75-80% or higher.

Maybe expand the diet a bit to include more sources of protein (unseasoned cooked or raw meat, nuts, nut butters, flake fish food, frozen fish food, etc) and calcium (egg shells, cuttle bone, powdered calcium, etc) .

Good luck and don't give up! It's a really fun hobby once you get them through a molt or two!!

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 am

It sounds like you are doing almost everything correctly. The only thing I can really see is the humidity might be tinsy bit low. You are going to want it around 80%- it can dip a little bit at night, but 60-75 is a bit low. I wouldn't let it get below 75%.

One other thing is 3 golf ball hermits might be a tad over crowded in a 10g. I think they would be fine in a 20gL but, they grow fast! So if you are able to upgrade to something a bit larger, that would help them out a lot! The bigger the better! :) If you choose to keep them in the 10g, I would add a little more substrate. That would be very helpful for them when they go under to molt. 6inches is the minimum, and since your crabs are golf ball size, I would go even a bit deeper. I would also add some additional shells. Its best to have 3-5 extra shells per crab.

Because none of the crabs have had a molt with you, they are most likely still going through the distressing period. They will go through this until their first molt, and then usually you will be in the clear. I would say that this little one succumbed to PPS. :( Sometimes we can have the perfect conditions, but the journey from beach to pet store to our home is just to much for them.

If you are able to adjust these few things, I think your crabs will have a long happy life with you. Don't worry, most of us have lost crabs to PPS. It's never easy, sorry for loss :luck::
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

Topic author
Overlordsheepie

Post by Overlordsheepie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Thank you all for helping me out with my hermit crab.

Unfortunately, I believe my hermit crab has passed (the body smelled really bad this morning) and so I am going to bury him/her in my yard sometime today. I will try and raise my humidity up and I will probably not add another hermit crab to the tank unless they need another friend (I've heard 3 hermit crabs minimum, but I don't want to overcrowd them). I hope my other hermit crabs have successfully molted when they come up from underground, and maybe they'll be in the clear soon. Again, thank you so much for helping me with this emergency, I will do my best to give my hermies the best care possible.

R.I.P Hermit crab

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear that crabs really only need one species buddy, anything behond that is simply for our pleasure. I would not add any additional crabs to your current set up. Good luck with your buddies down molting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 pm

marandashermies wrote:Sorry to hear that Image crabs really only need one species buddy, anything behond that is simply for our pleasure. I would not add any additional crabs to your current set up. Good luck with your buddies down molting!

Actually...land hermit crabs live in huge colonies of thousands in the wild. They are social creatures and IMO, do better when they can also be in their own little colonies in captivity.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:19 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
marandashermies wrote:Sorry to hear that Image crabs really only need one species buddy, anything behond that is simply for our pleasure. I would not add any additional crabs to your current set up. Good luck with your buddies down molting!

Actually...land hermit crabs live in huge colonies of thousands in the wild. They are social creatures and IMO, do better when they can also be in their own little colonies in captivity.
Yes I agree and that's why I have so many! Image But in this case, for the size tank and size of the crabs already in it, it might be overcrowded if any more were added. But it is important to at least have one friend for them. I really wasn't clear about that, my fault!

Topic author
Overlordsheepie

Post by Overlordsheepie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:18 am

By the way, does anyone know how to close a thread? I'm still kind of getting this site figured out. :?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:56 pm

You don't.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Overlordsheepie wrote:By the way, does anyone know how to close a thread? I'm still kind of getting this site figured out. :?
Are you wanting to prevent any more responses? We usually don't lock threads unless there are personal attacks or arguments going on in the replies, but you are welcome to message an admin and ask them to lock the thread or delete it if you wish.

Topic author
Overlordsheepie

Post by Overlordsheepie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Oh okay, that's totally fine. I just was going to close it so I didn't take up space or so people know there isn't a full on emergency going on.