New Hermit Crab out of shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
airrock6

New Hermit Crab out of shell

Post by airrock6 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 am

So a few days ago I came home and there was a little container sitting on my kitchen table. Apparently my mother in law had bought us a hermit crab without telling us. I've never had one before so I had no idea how to care for him. After reading up on it I got him a 10 gallon tank. For a couple days he didn't have salt water because I didn't know he needed it but he has had fresh food and water and the temperature and humidity have been right. I have iguana so I know how to measure those. He hasn't been eating or drinking and hebarely came out and moved around. I thought he might be lonely so I went today to get him a friend and some stuff to climb on. When I got back I noticed he had not moved so I picked him up and he was limp. I read that he could be molting but I've only had him a few days and just now when I went to check on him he's moved a little and his she'll is away from him and he's completly out of it not moving. I didn't know what to do but my boyfriend said he felt him move a little he thought but he wasn't sure. My other hermit is fine and moving around good. Could the other hermit have messed with him and got him out of his shell if he's dead? Or could he still be molting? I have four bigger shells in there. I don't know what to do. I don't know how he could have got into that position if he's dead but he wasn't digging or anything. I just don't want to hurt him if he is still alive but if something was wrong with him I don't want my other hermit to a catch it.

bbcraft22

Re: New Hermit Crab out of shell

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:06 am

get a water bottle and cut out the bottom and put it over the crab so no other crabs can get him. I don't know what else to do :?
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

KayedeeLove<3

Re: New Hermit Crab out of shell

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:19 am

If he is alive he needs to be reshelled immediately. Dip him in fresh dechlorinated water and gently feed him in. He has no chance without a shell.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk