Hermit crabs mood slowly getting worse and worse (lost claw)

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Hermit crabs mood slowly getting worse and worse (lost claw)

Post by Crabbyforshore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 pm

i have a purple pincher crab (tama) I've had him since April 28th of this year. When I first received him he was extremely active and was a very happy crab, and once we got a proper tank and got him a friend his mood even lightened more. We had recieved another crab the same size of him (about the palm of my hand both of them) and the newer one including the smaller one went to molt. He would barely leave his hut to drink or eat. I had left him in the care of my parents for this previous week and returned on Saturday (June 3) he was barely even responding. It wasn't untill this morning (June 4) he wouldn't even pop his eyes out to walk around in my hand. He slowly twitched his antennae. I put him near water and would move him around to each bowl but he would not move. I placed him in his coconut hut and about two hours later he still had not moved. In that time frame, he dropped his smaller claw, and when I picked him up to try and isolate him more, he was halfway hanging out his shell.

I have a 29 gallon tank with 10 inches of sand.it is kept at the right temperatures and checked every two hours. There is plenty of cocohuts and the saltwater bowl is enough for him to it have his shell in the water. Food is replaced every day or if it is hard. W replace it with different fruits and veggies.

I'm very worried for tama and would appreciate as much help as I can. We are getting a isolation tank for him to keep him for a week untill we can figure out what's wrong.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crabs mood slowly getting worse and worse (lost c

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! I'm sorry that it is under these circumstances that we are meeting.

Please fill out the emergency template so we can figure out what is going on: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102

I know you want to do everything possible to help Tama. Right now do not hold him. Leave him alone. Provide him with humidity at a minimum of 80, heat at a minimum of 80. Give him dechlorinated freshwater and dechlorinated marine saltwater. I also recommend that you provide him with raw organic honey, as well as some calcium (eggshell, cuttlebone, oyster shell) and protein (krill, crickets, mealworm, chicken, shrimp) sources. I know it will be tempting to check on him, but it will stress him out. I will check back for the emergency template to be filled out. Good luck!

Edit: Keep him in Iso, and give him a good hiding place :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Post by Crabbyforshore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Play sand, 10 inches
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
They are low to the sand level, read 79-80 for thermometer and 80% for humidity (I believe, it's the hermit crab double meter)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A heating lamp at top of tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh water and salt. Salt is treated with hermit crab soaking salt and fresh water is bottled water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Food is replaced everyday and it's replaced with variety of veggies fruits and protein

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
April 18, 2017 purple pincher

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
29 gallon tank, an metal cage with a towel to keep humidity in
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two crabs about the size of my palm
And two smaller ones that are about the size of a rock

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Around 4-5 for small ones
3 for bigger ones (just ordered new ones)

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that I know of

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Cleans every other week, I've scrubbed the sides and bake top layer of sand (haven't DOne this recently due to the fact I have no idea where my two molters are)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
One in the salt water and we boil it

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Just a new small crab

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

i have a purple pincher crab (tama) I've had him since April 28th of this year. When I first received him he was extremely active and was a very happy crab, and once we got a proper tank and got him a friend his mood even lightened more. We had recieved another crab the same size of him (about the palm of my hand both of them) and the newer one including the smaller one went to molt. He would barely leave his hut to drink or eat. I had left him in the care of my parents for this previous week and returned on Saturday (June 3) he was barely even responding. It wasn't untill this morning (June 4) he wouldn't even pop his eyes out to walk around in my hand. He slowly twitched his antennae. I put him near water and would move him around to each bowl but he would not move. I placed him in his coconut hut and about two hours later he still had not moved. In that time frame, he dropped his smaller claw, and when I picked him up to try and isolate him more, he was halfway hanging out his shell.

I have a 29 gallon tank with 10 inches of sand.it is kept at the right temperatures and checked every two hours. There is plenty of cocohuts and the saltwater bowl is enough for him to it have his shell in the water. Food is replaced every day or if it is hard. W replace it with different fruits and veggies.

I'm very worried for tama and would appreciate as much help as I can. We are getting a isolation tank for him to keep him for a week untill we can figure out what's wrong.

Ps- he has not been handled for about 4 hours, and he will be moved to the iso tank tomorrow to stay for about a week untill we see if he's feeling better

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 pm

I agree with GB. He needs to be alone with nutrients & water sources.
GB can correct me but he may have had an old injury that needed healing through a molt. Or may have been stressed for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Post by Crabbyforshore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Giner13 wrote:I agree with GB. He needs to be alone with nutrients & water sources.
GB can correct me but he may have had an old injury that needed healing through a molt. Or may have been stressed for some reason.

When we first bought him he was very active and as the others went to molt he stayed above the surface, but about two weeks later he started acting depressed. He may have had an injury but i Couldn't tell from outside view.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:50 pm

It's possible he was pre molt then...are his legs hairy or pointy at all?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:51 pm

I did GB for GotButterflies
Crabbyforshore wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Play sand, 10 inches

GB: Is it moistened with dechlorinated marine salt water or dechlorinated fresh water to make it sandcastle consistency?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
They are low to the sand level, read 79-80 for thermometer and 80% for humidity (I believe, it's the hermit crab double meter)

GB: Okay, you have analog gauges. Just keep an eye on those. Make sure you calibrate it to make sure the humidity is correct. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92540

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A heating lamp at top of tank

GB: Heat can make humidity evaporate - so keep an eye on that :)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh water and salt. Salt is treated with hermit crab soaking salt and fresh water is bottled water

GB: Bottled water still needs a dechlorinator. Dechlorinator needs to remove chlorine, chloramine, and neutralize ammonia and heavy metals. Most of us use Prime. Unfortunately the hermit crab soaking salt is incorrect. Most products marketed for hermit crabs are worthless. You need marine salt for mimicking the ocean. Most of us use Instant Ocean. You would also need to use a dechlorinator to make that marine salt water as well. The marine salt water has the essential minerals and elements needed for the crabs.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Food is replaced everyday and it's replaced with variety of veggies fruits and protein

GB: Great - make sure organic when possible. Crabs are sensitive to fertilizers and pesticides.
Safe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
April 18, 2017 purple pincher

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
29 gallon tank, an metal cage with a towel to keep humidity in

GB: You can try press n seal or saran wrap on your tank instead of the towel. :) Also moss pits and air stones work well.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two crabs about the size of my palm
And two smaller ones that are about the size of a rock

GB: Well, I'm not sure how big your palm is. But...if it is as large as mine it sounds like a Jumbo crab. Jumbo crabs need a minimum of a 55 gallon tank. If it isn't a jumbo, and it's just a large, they should have about 10-15 gallons each. I'd say your tank is pushing being a little overcrowded. Small - Medium crabs do okay at one crab per 5 gallons, but the larger the crab the more room they need.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Around 4-5 for small ones
3 for bigger ones (just ordered new ones)

GB: The HCA recommends a minimum of 3-5 shells per crab, but I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have too many! Here is the shell guide :) http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that I know of

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Cleans every other week, I've scrubbed the sides and bake top layer of sand (haven't DOne this recently due to the fact I have no idea where my two molters are)

GB: Not necessary. Just scoop poop and spilled food. :)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
One in the salt water and we boil it

GB: No sponge necessary. :) toss it - that's an old practice.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Just a new small crab

GB: Okay. Did you dip it into the freshwater of the tank? It does change the pecking order of the tank when you add another crab. Dominance has to get re-established. I'm very tired - I know there is better wording for this...please forgive me! LOL

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Ps- he has not been handled for about 4 hours, and he will be moved to the iso tank tomorrow to stay for about a week untill we see if he's feeling better

GB: Well, to be honest...it really sounds like your guy is STRESSED!!!!! One of their defense mechanisms is to drop limbs. Luckily they can regrow them with their molts. He could also be suffering from PPS (Post Purchase Syndrome). I do recommend setting your guy up in isolation with some raw organic honey, calcium sources, and protein asap along with dechlorinated marine saltwater and dechlorinated freshwater. Try to leave him along and pray for the best!! Good luck!! I'm rooting for him! Please let us know if you have any questions!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Post by Crabbyforshore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Giner13 wrote:It's possible he was pre molt then...are his legs hairy or pointy at all?

He has tanish hair between the sections his legs fold. His legs are also very flat at the bottom

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm

He has not molted then. He would have very hairy legs and pointy black tips at the end of his legs. I responded to the emergency template :)

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Post by Crabbyforshore » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:57 pm

GotButterflies wrote:He has not molted then. He would have very hairy legs and pointy black tips at the end of his legs. I responded to the emergency template :)

I've read through it! And thank you so much!

We are getting a new tank to isolate him, and in the earlier stages (when we believed him to be depressed) I would handfeed him honey and he'd perk right up (organic of course). The bottled water was declorinated and I will get that new aquarium salt as soon as I get money for it

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Crabbyforshore wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:He has not molted then. He would have very hairy legs and pointy black tips at the end of his legs. I responded to the emergency template :)

I've read through it! And thank you so much!

We are getting a new tank to isolate him, and in the earlier stages (when we believed him to be depressed) I would handfeed him honey and he'd perk right up (organic of course). The bottled water was declorinated and I will get that new aquarium salt as soon as I get money for it
Great! Be sure to get Instant Ocean and not aquarium salt. :) They are two different things. Good luck!!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:03 pm

On the right track!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:11 pm

If the other two are down molting I would strongly recommend just leaving him alone. They will not be bothering him, and moving him now would only cause more stress. Honestly, by what you've described, he already sounds like he may have passed on. By the time they are limp and dropping limbs nothing can be done, short of leaving them in good conditions and hoping they will pull through.

I dont think you have done a thing wrong, many new crabs die no matter whay we do. There is an article as to why in the care guides section that deals with Post Purchase Syndrome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

Chiming in to say that I have to agree with Wode. Unfortunately, it does sound like he's already gone. :(

Leave him be and wait to see if he gets a little stinky. Molting crabs do often seem dead, so I would give it a little bit of time, but I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up. It sounds like you've been keeping good care of him and doing your best to see him pull through, so don't be hard on yourself if he has passed. :love9:

Topic author
Crabbyforshore

Post by Crabbyforshore » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 am

I checked on him this morning and he dropped two more limps, and when we blew on him he didn't move, I picked him up and he fell right out. So as much as it pains me to say tama has passed on. Thank you all for your help