Temp dropped, crab died?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Temp dropped, crab died?

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:00 pm

I'm new, and trying to sort this all out. I have three hermits in a 10 gallon tank with a uth mounted to the side (uth is for 10 gallon tanks). One hermit has been next to the heater for several days. Today I noticed his legs sticking out more than usual (see picture). I moved him around a bit and he's not moving. He's still next to the heater.

Today the temp outside dropped lower than what it has been, and I noticed the temp gauge was reading 68 degrees. Could my hermit have died from the temp drop? I'm not sure even if he's dead but seems to be Image I check the temp morning and evening in the tank (at a min) and just saw it was at 68 degrees today (it wasn't yesterday evening).

I didn't know about the painted shells when I bought him. Hoped he would change shells.

Can anyone advise what to do? Also, on a separate note, Should I get a second uth for the winter? I'm working on getting a bigger tank, but for now would a second uth be ok? The temp usually seems to stay at like 70 degrees.

There is not a fishy dead smell coming from the tank. I hope he's not dead!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Re: Temp dropped, crab died?

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:I'm new, and trying to sort this all out. I have three hermits in a 10 gallon tank with a uth mounted to the side (uth is for 10 gallon tanks). One hermit has been next to the heater for several days. Today I noticed his legs sticking out more than usual (see picture). I moved him around a bit and he's not moving. He's still next to the heater.

Today the temp outside dropped lower than what it has been, and I noticed the temp gauge was reading 68 degrees. Could my hermit have died from the temp drop? I'm not sure even if he's dead but seems to be Image I check the temp morning and evening in the tank (at a min) and just saw it was at 68 degrees today (it wasn't yesterday evening).

I didn't know about the painted shells when I bought him. Hoped he would change shells.

Can anyone advise what to do? Also, on a separate note, Should I get a second uth for the winter? I'm working on getting a bigger tank, but for now would a second uth be ok? The temp usually seems to stay at like 70 degrees.

Also, the humidity level are where they should be.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:I'm new, and trying to sort this all out. I have three hermits in a 10 gallon tank with a uth mounted to the side (uth is for 10 gallon tanks). One hermit has been next to the heater for several days. Today I noticed his legs sticking out more than usual (see picture). I moved him around a bit and he's not moving. He's still next to the heater.

Humidity and temp need to be a minimum of 80. Its best to fill out the emergency template. Ill be have yo provide a link if necessary. Unless he smells of rotting fish or decay and/or falls out of his shell without moving he might be just barely alive.

Without a more in depth look into your tank i dont think anyone could say what the cause is but the departure drop didnt help anything.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Just Jay wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:

Humidity and temp need to be a minimum of 80. Its best to fill out the emergency template. Ill be have yo provide a link if necessary. Unless he smells of rotting fish or decay and/or falls out of his shell without moving he might be just barely alive.

Without a more in depth look into your tank i dont think anyone could say what the cause is but the departure drop didnt help anything.

Can you send me the link?

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Just Jay wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco earth substrate. About 6 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, located in middle of back side (long side) of tank. Temp 72-75, humidity 85-90

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Uth mounted to side (short side) of tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh water, dechlorinated

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Dry veggies, river shrimp, hermit crab food, - replaced daily

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? About 3 weeks, pp crab

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? No

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:
Just Jay wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:Also, the humidity level are where they should be.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco earth substrate. About 6 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, located in middle of back side (long side) of tank. Temp 72-75, humidity 85-90

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Uth mounted to side (short side) of tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh water, dechlorinated

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Dry veggies, river shrimp, hermit crab food, - replaced daily

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? About 3 weeks, pp crab

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon aquarium tank, mesh lid w/ towel covering half of lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 medium sized

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 6+

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Once a month, remove everything, boil decor and dishes, clean tank, replace substrate

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? Yes, under running water

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Decor items, new food

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Sorry about the trouble. Read read read.
viewforum.php?f=51
-Jimmer

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm

It biggest thing you need to work out is temperature. Many people in the Us and canada have had great success in a product called 'ultratherm'. Ideally when your looking for a UTH, you want it to cover as much as the back panel as possible, but shouldnt go too far into the substrate layer (ideally, it shouldnt... but if its a bit of an overlap they wont mind.) The good thing about this brand with many cant is that it can be insulated, so redirect heat that would of not warmed the tank into the tank....
(You can even get a larger size so when it comes to your upgrade, you dont have to buy a new one. The only problem is that you might be left with overhang; which isnt good to bend or cut as it can short or start a fire)

After temperature has been fixed, i suggest looking into purchasing salt, since they need it for mineral consumption. Any type of marine salt used for salt water fish is good, many seem to use brands called instant ocean or red sea. But any is good!

Edit. On tapatalk, so constantly have to check up on things that ive missed. Anyway, running water is a bit nono, since it often contains heavy metals abd compounds like chlorines thats lethal to our little guys. You probably notice that many of us - like myself - as recommend on removing the sponges from the dishes, since they just one big bacteria ball and the only way to properly sterilize is to let it dry throughly and microwave it.

Once the tank is established, there is no need to replace everything every month too. I would recommend rearranging it, to keep their little minds busy, but dont feel the need to wash it all out. Eventually the tank will become 'bio-active' and help you get rid of waste. (Doesnt excuse daily food removal or spot cleaning if needed)

Edit v2. Also recommend ditching the hermit crab food. Often full of fillers anf preservatives which can cause problems. Better to stick with a balanced and filling diet consisting of organic veggies, fruit and meats... (and everything in between).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm

What i would recommend now to keep the tank warm is to cover it with towels, especially recently dry towels thats warm from the 'dryer'. Another good idea would be to wrap with blankets.
However, im not sure on the brand of UTH you have, so keep that clear to ensure that it doesnt cause problems.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 am

Awww I hope he's ok! Don't assume he's dead till he gets stinky.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 am

Sounds like JJAussieDude covered most of it.

Another way to bump up heat is to insulate your tank. You can use aluminum foil (shiny side facing tank), then cardboard/foam board/styrofoam, basically you can layer it. I personally love a product called Reflectix. It costs about $16, and looks like a car shade. It is a huge roll for that cost. You can hang it with relectix tape, duct tape or packaging tape.

Make sure you get Marine salt, like in making a marine saltwater fish tank. Most of us use a product called Instant Ocean, but there are other products as well. :)

For the foods, make sure you cover the food pyramid, and offer organic when possible. Hermits are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

Edit: Don't give up hope on your hermit - he is probably just really cold.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:What i would recommend now to keep the tank warm is to cover it with towels, especially recently dry towels thats warm from the 'dryer'. Another good idea would be to wrap with blankets.
However, im not sure on the brand of UTH you have, so keep that clear to ensure that it doesnt cause problems.

I covered it with towels and put a heating pad (used for headaches etc on people) up next to it while I went to work today. Temp seems to be back up in mid 70s. I thought the 10 gallon tank heater would work! ImageImageImageImageImageImage Thank you for replying

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:Awww I hope he's ok! Don't assume he's dead till he gets stinky.
Thank you! ImageImageImage I just wound up with hermit crabs this summer, and researched and thought I had everything ok. Can't believe how much these crabs have taken over my heart! I hope they'll be ok.

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm

DaJimmer wrote:Sorry about the trouble. Read read read.
viewforum.php?f=51
Thank you!!

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:32 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It biggest thing you need to work out is temperature. Many people in the Us and canada have had great success in a product called 'ultratherm'. Ideally when your looking for a UTH, you want it to cover as much as the back panel as possible, but shouldnt go too far into the substrate layer (ideally, it shouldnt... but if its a bit of an overlap they wont mind.) The good thing about this brand with many cant is that it can be insulated, so redirect heat that would of not warmed the tank into the tank....
(You can even get a larger size so when it comes to your upgrade, you dont have to buy a new one. The only problem is that you might be left with overhang; which isnt good to bend or cut as it can short or start a fire)

After temperature has been fixed, i suggest looking into purchasing salt, since they need it for mineral consumption. Any type of marine salt used for salt water fish is good, many seem to use brands called instant ocean or red sea. But any is good!

Edit. On tapatalk, so constantly have to check up on things that ive missed. Anyway, running water is a bit nono, since it often contains heavy metals abd compounds like chlorines thats lethal to our little guys. You probably notice that many of us - like myself - as recommend on removing the sponges from the dishes, since they just one big bacteria ball and the only way to properly sterilize is to let it dry throughly and microwave it.

Once the tank is established, there is no need to replace everything every month too. I would recommend rearranging it, to keep their little minds busy, but dont feel the need to wash it all out. Eventually the tank will become 'bio-active' and help you get rid of waste. (Doesnt excuse daily food removal or spot cleaning if needed)

Edit v2. Also recommend ditching the hermit crab food. Often full of fillers anf preservatives which can cause problems. Better to stick with a balanced and filling diet consisting of organic veggies, fruit and meats... (and everything in between).

Thank you ever so much for this post! I feel horrible but your balanced advice helps a lot. I have well water, is that still unsafe? No chlorine or anything in it.

I put a heating pad up on the tank and the temp seems better. Will DEFINITELY buy the heater recommended. Is one enough for a 10 gallon tank?