POWER OUTAGE!!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
TheCrabLord

POWER OUTAGE!!!!

Post by TheCrabLord » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 am

hey guys i’m so worried my power has been out for over seven hours... idk what to do. i wrapped my tank in blankets and put a towel on top to keep heat and i’m manually spraying it and i put a hot water bottle in there which helps boost heat by a lot. (when i stick my hand in its warm) i can’t see my thermometer in the dark, and i think it got uncalibrated when i moved and i just didn’t realize. (it stays certain humidity and temp i think) HELP!!! i’ve read a lot of those power outage posts before and idk what to do... it’s 35 degrees outside and i have work tomowrrow so i can’t stay home with the crabs to change their water bottle and to mist. i might have to call in sick, the horses have other people to help them. luckily my room was pretty warm when it went out as i have a space heater in here. i can barely stay warm because all my blankets are on the tank. also i CANT move it, it has over 100 pounds of substrate and it’s a 40 gallon.

Brian_T

Re: POWER OUTAGE!!!!

Post by Brian_T » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:22 am

TheCrabLord wrote:hey guys i’m so worried my power has been out for over seven hours... idk what to do. i wrapped my tank in blankets and put a towel on top to keep heat and i’m manually spraying it and i put a hot water bottle in there which helps boost heat by a lot. (when i stick my hand in its warm) i can’t see my thermometer in the dark, and i think it got uncalibrated when i moved and i just didn’t realize. (it stays certain humidity and temp i think) HELP!!! i’ve read a lot of those power outage posts before and idk what to do... it’s 35 degrees outside and i have work tomowrrow so i can’t stay home with the crabs to change their water bottle and to mist. i might have to call in sick, the horses have other people to help them. luckily my room was pretty warm when it went out as i have a space heater in here. i can barely stay warm because all my blankets are on the tank. also i CANT move it, it has over 100 pounds of substrate and it’s a 40 gallon.
I should have scrolled down before I posted above. The water bottle is a great idea, I wish I had one last night.

Right now I'm just hoping my sub was deep enough to retain some warmth.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:23 am

Hey, I had no power last night!
Do you live near me?
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 am

stellaplusrocky wrote:Hey, I had no power last night!
Do you live near me?
we had a mini blizzard last night but none of the snow stuck really, same for u?

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 am

TheCrabLord wrote:
stellaplusrocky wrote:Hey, I had no power last night!
Do you live near me?
we had a mini blizzard last night but none of the snow stuck really, same for u?
Okay, then it was a coincidence.
I am living in warm weather, with sunny skies. Must’ve been some problem within our neighborhood.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:14 am

If you have to, take the crabs with you. Below 68ish is a danger zone which kills some some crabs, and for sure below 60 will be deadly. Grab an insulated lunch bag or tote, add a warm water bottle, and pack them up (preferably individually) in moist moss or paper towels in plastic food containers. Any crab left in the tank to get too cold won't make it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Post by TheCrabLord » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:35 am

i have a molting crab as of now

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 am

If it's going to stay cold and/or get colder, and if it were me, I would carefully dig her up and move her to a margarine container or similar mostly filled with substrate. I have done it before and never lost a crab. If she gets too cold she won't make it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Isastfu

Post by Isastfu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah there was also a mini blizzard here too and I haven't had power since yesterday. I boiled water with some water conditioner and put the water in two plastic soup tubs. One with an open lid and one with a closed lid closer to where my crab is hiding so that he stays warm. I also wrapped a fleece blanket around the tank. I plan on changing the water in two hours since I'm sure it won't be hot by then. I'm also boiling a huge pot of water to keep my kitchen warm (this is where my tank is located). I'm mega cold in my room but at least my crab feels warmer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Animal dad