Naked crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Naked crab

Post by TXcrabby022 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am

Hi all,

We have a recently emerged jumbo naked PP that seems to be confused and not getting into the shells I've been offering. Another jumbo has gotten interested and the naked crab seems to be nervous, so I moved the other away. Do I need to separate them? And what else? We have a good range of shell sizes, tat is well-misted, humid and warm. TIA for any pointers!

Elena

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Re: Naked crab

Post by TXcrabby022 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am

Update: I've rinsed her/him and shell with fresh crabitat water, gently uncurled ab and attempted to reintroduce to shell but crab was too upset and squirmed away. Now ab is partially in a larger shell, with three more available, including old shell. Will fill out form later.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Generally, if they are being fussy the best thing is to separate for safety, make sure the crab and the shells are rinsed clean, and then confine them to a clean substrate-free space just large enough to fit everything so that the crab has no choice but to look at what is being offered. It takes the distraction away, and being clean makes it less likely that there will be irritations that chase them out of a new shell. Good luck! I hope it's a temporary thing. If they really refuse to wear a shell it means something very serious is happening and it usually cannot be reversed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Post by TXcrabby022 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks, Wodesorel! Things are looking up--he/she has moved into a new shell. Fingers crossed it works for a while and all's well. Wish I'd gotten a better look to determine whether male or female while I had the chance!

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:04 pm

TXcrabby022 wrote:Update: I've rinsed her/him and shell with fresh crabitat water, gently uncurled ab and attempted to reintroduce to shell but crab was too upset and squirmed away. Now ab is partially in a larger shell, with three more available, including old shell. Will fill out form later.

Hi,
Maybe you know his already and uncurling ab was what seemed best at the time, but touching a hermit crab’s body will be excruciating for the hermie no matter how gentle you are. Maybe your hermie’s shell had something inside, because hermit crabs will leave shells if they become uncomfortable and something is lodged inside or there is an infection. You could check your crabs shell and boil the empty ones every once in a while to try preventing this situation again. Just be extra sure the ones you boil are empty, because hermies can change shells very fast.

Hope this helps!
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Crabs will leave their shells for reasons other than infection or something inside. It is often a sign of stress, which can sometimes be determined from the answers to the emergency template. While it is generally not a good idea to touch crabs, the moderators on this site do recommend gently uncurling the abdomen to re-shell a crab. A naked crab will die, and one moderator said that 'sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures', LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 pm

HermitCrabHelp wrote: Hi,
Maybe you know his already and uncurling ab was what seemed best at the time, but touching a hermit crab’s body will be excruciating for the hermie no matter how gentle you are. Maybe your hermie’s shell had something inside, because hermit crabs will leave shells if they become uncomfortable and something is lodged inside or there is an infection. You could check your crabs shell and boil the empty ones every once in a while to try preventing this situation again. Just be extra sure the ones you boil are empty, because hermies can change shells very fast.

Hope this helps!
It is necessary to uncurl a hermit crab's abdomen when they have abandoned their shell. We recommend this method after their shell has been rinsed in the freshwater of the crabitat, showing that there is nothing in the shell. The hermit crab's abdomen should also be very gently dipped in the fw of the crabitat so that it is not dirty. A hermit crab cannot live without a shell. The shell is the hermit crab's protection at keeping their abdomen moist and protected.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Post by TXcrabby022 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Crabby is still in the large shell but is very limp, with some legs sticking out slightly. Does not smell bad and did move slightly when I touched the legs. Perhaps this is just a surface molt? I made a little cave in a sand bowl with shells and moist moss for a roof. I'll add a soda bottle top when I get my hands on one.

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Post by TXcrabby022 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

P.S. Thanks for the help and clarification re abdominal uncurling! <3<3<3

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:08 am

HermitCrabHelp wrote:
TXcrabby022 wrote:Update: I've rinsed her/him and shell with fresh crabitat water, gently uncurled ab and attempted to reintroduce to shell but crab was too upset and squirmed away. Now ab is partially in a larger shell, with three more available, including old shell. Will fill out form later.

Hi,

Hope this helps!
Hermit crabs are quite adept at cleaning debris from their shells, as they do live and dig in all types of leaf litter, bark, and sand.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
HermitCrabHelp wrote: Hi,

Hope this helps!
It is necessary to uncurl a hermit crab's abdomen when they have abandoned their shell. We recommend this method after their shell has been rinsed in the freshwater of the crabitat, showing that there is nothing in the shell. The hermit crab's abdomen should also be very gently dipped in the fw of the crabitat so that it is not dirty. A hermit crab cannot live without a shell. The shell is the hermit crab's protection at keeping their abdomen moist and protected.
I wasn’t saying uncurling the abdomen isn’t necessary, I was just trying to stress that it is painful for them, and I’m really sorry for any misunderstanding, I’ll try to be clearer in the future
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/