Hermit crab sitting in same position for days??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Plasmoc

Hermit crab sitting in same position for days??

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:41 pm

I have a 10 gallon tank, substrate about 6” deep (3x my biggest crab), 72-80% humidity (usually around 76%), 75 degrees my new second heater stopped working so it dipped to 75 instead of 80. Replacement heater is on the way.

I have 1 small and 1 medium crab down, and 2 small up. I’m moving soon and upgrading to 20 gallons.

Meanwhile, this guy just hangs out like this all day & night. It’s been 3 days. He moved a tiny bit when I tapped the glass. Is he being weird or is the temp drop affecting him? My other crab who’s up is as active as ever at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: Hermit crab sitting in same position for days??

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:43 pm

I’d he sleeping half out of his shell?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:58 pm

And to clarify the substrate is deeper in the second half of the tank. He’s on the shallow side.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Fill out the Emergency Template:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102

This will help everyone evaluate your set up and give you the help possible.

This is a care sheet about PPS, Post Purchase Syndrome. Without an Emergency Template filled out I would be guessing it could be PPS.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92531
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:06 am

Sorry, here is the template:

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco Earth mixed with a small amount of sand, moist to sand castle consistency. 3-6”, half the tank is 6”.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes - humidity is 72-80%, hanging at 80% now. Temperature is 75 as one new heater died, new second heater on the way.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 2 small (5-10 gallon) flat heaters taped to the back of the tank. One died replacement is on its way.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh dechlorinated water and dechlorinated salt water made using Instant Ocean.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Wide variety of fresh foods along with some freeze dried foods & pellets. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, mango, spinach, green pepper, orange pepper, broccoli, cilantro, fennel, legumes, peanut butter, cheese, fresh pollock, dried shrimp, died mealworms, dried crickets (new food on Christmas), spiruella, honey, Royal jelly, bee pollen, oats, millet, calcium powder, calcium block, Honey Nut Cheerios. I change their food and water every 1-3 days depending on what it is and how it looks.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Had him since last February, not sure what kind.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I don’t think so, he did go under for a few weeks a few months ago, but. Came up looking the same.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon, upgrading to 20 gallon soon. Mesh lid ~85% covered in Saran Wrap to help humidity.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 small and 1 medium. I just adopted one, which is why they are crowded and I’m upgrading to a bigger tank as soon as I move.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? About 16 shells right now. I rotate different ones in/out occasionally.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I clean surface scraps & any spotted waste very 2-3 days.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? I gave them freeze dried crickets on Christmas. Miss Pitt was added a few weeks ago (glass dome with moist moss inside). Adopted another hermit crab last month. The new guy seemed to get along with them well and is currently under.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I have seen him climb around some, caught him st the food dish a couple days ago, but the majority of the time he sits in this one position.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I have seen him climb around some, caught him st the food dish a couple days ago, but the majority of the time he sits in this one position.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Sorry, here is the template:

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco Earth mixed with a small amount of sand, moist to sand castle consistency. 3-6”, half the tank is 6”.

the entire tank should be a minimum of 6" or 3x the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper. If you add more sand (playsand) it will keep its shape better than mostly ee. You can add an inch of sand every 24hrs, just don't pat it down. If everyone is up, you can add more. And of course mix the sand with dechlorinated fresh or dech saltwater.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes - humidity is 72-80%, hanging at 80% now. Temperature is 75 as one new heater died, new second heater on the way.

what type of gauge do you use. If you use analog those are highly inacurate. Digital is best. Most of us use Acurite.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 2 small (5-10 gallon) flat heaters taped to the back of the tank. One died replacement is on its way.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh dechlorinated water and dechlorinated salt water made using Instant Ocean.

what do you use as dechlorinator? Prime is most recommended.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Wide variety of fresh foods along with some freeze dried foods & pellets. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, mango, spinach, green pepper, orange pepper, broccoli, cilantro, fennel, legumes, peanut butter, cheese, fresh pollock, dried shrimp, died mealworms, dried crickets (new food on Christmas), spiruella, honey, Royal jelly, bee pollen, oats, millet, calcium powder, calcium block, Honey Nut Cheerios. I change their food and water every 1-3 days depending on what it is and how it looks.

you can stop using the pellets. Most everything marketed for hermit crabs isn't good for them. If you're not already, try as often as possible to use organic foods.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Had him since last February, not sure what kind.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I don’t think so, he did go under for a few weeks a few months ago, but. Came up looking the same.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon, upgrading to 20 gallon soon. Mesh lid ~85% covered in Saran Wrap to help humidity.

you can cover the entire lid with saran wrap. They will get enough oxygen when you feed them.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 small and 1 medium. I just adopted one, which is why they are crowded and I’m upgrading to a bigger tank as soon as I move.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? About 16 shells right now. I rotate different ones in/out occasionally.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I clean surface scraps & any spotted waste very 2-3 days.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? I gave them freeze dried crickets on Christmas. Miss Pitt was added a few weeks ago (glass dome with moist moss inside). Adopted another hermit crab last month. The new guy seemed to get along with them well and is currently under.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I have seen him climb around some, caught him st the food dish a couple days ago, but the majority of the time he sits in this one position.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I have seen him climb around some, caught him st the food dish a couple days ago, but the majority of the time he sits in this one position.

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 pm

How much EE can I add at once? I do t have any playsabd on hand do I’ll need to go buy it

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Sorry, I also don’t have digital gauges. I was planning to buy one but wasn’t sure what kind to get. I’ll buy that brand on amazon tonight

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Lastly, I’ve been using Zoomed dechlorinator but just bought prime (only used that twice so far).

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Prior to molting, crabs can slow down. Whatever you do, just try not to handle him/her and don't do much to change their environment in the way that it looks. All of that is stressful to them. Molting takes a lot of energy.

I personally recommend waiting to mix your substrate until you have the correct ratio of playsand to ecoearth. Everyone has their own input on this. I personally use more sand to ecoearth.

Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:38 pm

I added 1” eco earth and had to move him to do that because he was on the shallow side. I put him in the moss pit with bee pollen and calcium, but he’s since slowly moved across the entire second level of the tank and is hanging out in the open.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 pm

I would offer more protein and calcium choices. I also don't see any leaf litter on your list.

Protein: Eggs, chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, beef
Calcium: Eggshells, coral, oyster shell
Leaf litter: Oak, Maple, Sweetgum, Catappa/Indian Almond (Organic only = pesticide & fertilizer free)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Where do you buy coral and oyster shells from? I bought some and untreated dried sand dollars and starfish. They are super stinky.

When you buy leaf litter how do you know it’s truly safe? Do you get it on Etsy or where from?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:08 pm

GotButterfies has a store on Etsy called The Healthy Hermit. All of her stuff is top notch. My wife and I each placed a few orders with her and our crabs love almost everything we got from her. I know she had the shop closed for a few weeks because of the amount of work raising a bunch of baby crabs. A lot of people on here will vouch on the quality of her products.

There are several other stores on Etsy that sell foods too. mlakers also has an Etsy store called EarthWaterFireStudios. She has some foods but is more into selling her ceramic food dishes. Their awesome others will back her products too.

I have also ordered foods and cholla wood from ChollaQueen on Etsy. Their foods are great quality and love the natural cholla wood compared to the store bought. There is a lot more variety in the shapes and sizes.

I have also ordered stuff from Hermies Kitchen website, and foods from sellers on eBay hugsforhermits and crabtreatmania.

I would also say if you have questions about someone's products to ask questions before purchasing from them. Anyone selling a product should be able to give you peace of mind before purchasing. If they don't I would not buy from them.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 pm

I also just bought some stuff from Hermie’s Kitchen. Including a leaf litter mix called the Walking Crab Mix, moss, seaweed, kelp powder and worm castings.