Molting Again?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jamison

Molting Again?

Post by Jamison » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 am

Hi everyone, I am officially in panic mode. So in September I got my two new pp's. They mooted immediately and were doing awesome when they came up. But now they are both underground again. I already have extreme anxiety and this is making it worse. I love my crabs so much and if anything happened to one of them I would not be the same again. HELP
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

RiNiKy506

Re: Molting Again?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am

How big are they? I’m not very experienced myself but I had two of my smaller crabs go down, come up from a molt, and then go down a month later again. My second smallest came up yesterday, with my largest. Smaller crabs can molt more often, I’ve read.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:24 am

This is perfectly normally! A lot of crabs that come from not so great conditions will often pull back to back molts and depending on the size of the crabs, they may molt more often.

I have 2 Ecuadorians that I adopted in October that molted for a month or so and they went down again the first week of December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:How big are they? I’m not very experienced myself but I had two of my smaller crabs go down, come up from a molt, and then go down a month later again. My second smallest came up yesterday, with my largest. Smaller crabs can molt more often, I’ve read.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
One of my crabs is the size of a quarter. The other is golf ball sized.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:37 am

ha_haley wrote:This is perfectly normally! A lot of crabs that come from not so great conditions will often pull back to back molts Image and depending on the size of the crabs, they may molt more often.

I have 2 Ecuadorians that I adopted in October that molted for a month or so and they went down again the first week of December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I am feeling a lot better now! :banana:
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

You to Hagrid!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:37 am

I will put in another vote that this is totally normal behavior. Presuming the conditions they were in before coming to you weren't ideal, and that you conditions are....they have some catching up to do! LOL! Don't dig them up, that could have dire consequences which would cause far more anxiety. As long as your tank conditions are good, they know what they are doing and when they need to molt.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers