Freshly Molted Crab Dug Out

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermiwormi

Freshly Molted Crab Dug Out

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello everyone. All was well until just today. I opened the tank for maintenance and found a still soft, pale, hairless crab's body with Siam eating it. The only two that are up are Ozark and Siam, and Siam is way too small to carry a crab of that size, and the others are molting so it was most likely Ozark.

There is no bad smell, so this had to have happened today.

I could fill out the emergency template if someone would send it. I don't know if I should leave the body there or what to do with it.. I am greatly saddened and in total shock.Image

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark

Last edited by hermiwormi on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Freshly Molted Crab Dug Out

Post by curlysister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

This is the emergency help template. Copy and paste with your answers:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm

curlysister wrote:This is the emergency help template. Copy and paste with your answers:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
•The kind or substrate I use is a mix of Playsand and EcoEarth and it is 6.5" deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
•I have an accurite digital hygrometer/thermometer in the center of the tank, and the temperature is always 80°F except during the night, where it drops to 78°F. The humidity remains at 80%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
•I have an Ultratherm heat pad on the back of my tank, and I know while not recommended, a human heat pad on the side that I turn on when the temperature drops too low.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
•I have a Ziploc container of fw and a large rock-like bowl for saltwater. Both are conditioned with Seachem Prime, and I use Fritz RPM for my saltwater.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
•I feed a variety of organic fruits, vegetables, herbs, protein foods, grains, and I've fed organic dairy food in August. I replace food every other day.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
•I got my first two crabs in the past April, and the newer three during the summer, around June? All are PPs.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
•My crabs have all molted at least once in my care, and the one that passed away was currently going through the molting process.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
•My crabs are in a 40 gallon ExoTerra terrarium. The lid is a locking screen lid with plastic on the underside instead of on top to prevent rust.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
•I had 5. Three medium-large crabs and two tiny-borderline small crabs.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
•I do not have the exact count as many have been buried, but I'd say around 25-30 shells were in the tank.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
•Not recently, no.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
•I haven't ever done a deep clean, but I spot clean whenever i find a mess.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
•I Haven't used sponges due to the fear of dangerous bacteria.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
•I added a wheel a few months ago and the new fw pool, but nothing major.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
•No, I don't do much besides maintenance.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
•I came home and opened the tank, seeing my tiny crab, Siam, eating something. When I looked over a bit more, I saw a pale, soft, and hairless crab dead with a missing abdomen. I checked to see if it was an exoskeleton, but it wasn't. I knew that Siam couldn't have done this due to his size, but I remembered that I have a big crab, Ozark that was up. I was in total shock at the sight of this, and I do not know what to do with the body, whether I should leave it for them to eat, or remove it and throw it away or bury him. I am unable to identify the crab due to his lack of color.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 pm

I am so sorry that your crab passed away. It's hard to tell what happened....whether it passed away while molting and then someone dug him up, or if someone came across him and killed him. It looks like your conditions are really good. I am pretty sure your sub is sand castle consistency from other posts you have made. The only time one of my crabs dug the other one up, was when I didn't have enough substrate (my crabs had grown quite a bit, and it wasn't at least three times as deep as the biggest crab anymore). Perhaps someone else can add other advice or info.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am

curlysister wrote:I am so sorry that your crab passed away. It's hard to tell what happened....whether it passed away while molting and then someone dug him up, or if someone came across him and killed him. It looks like your conditions are really good. I am pretty sure your sub is sand castle consistency from other posts you have made. The only time one of my crabs dug the other one up, was when I didn't have enough substrate (my crabs had grown quite a bit, and it wasn't at least three times as deep as the biggest crab anymore). Perhaps someone else can add other advice or info.
I'm unsure as to what happened as well. I didn't smell any odor from the crab, nor did I see him that morning, so I assumed he was dug up and killed. The substrate is and has always been sand castle consistency like you said.

Also, yeah, I'll still wait for other responses.

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm

It could of been a coincidence, that a crab just happened to be digging in that location. Or maybe the crab was already passed. The sad thing is we may never know for sure.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:20 pm

I really want to identify what crab it is, but since I had 3 down at once, I won't know until they /hopefully/ resurface.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:51 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.
I’m not 100% sure about this but I wouldn’t leave him in there just incase it gives them “a taste” of eating other hermit crabs. I really don’t know the correct answer for that and I do understand that they probably do that in the wild but being that they are captive, I don’t think I would let them continue eating him. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I am so sorry for your loss. Image
I’m not 100% sure about this but I wouldn’t leave him in there just incase it gives them “a taste” of eating other hermit crabs. I really don’t know the correct answer for that and I do understand that they probably do that in the wild but being that they are captive, I don’t think I would let them continue eating him. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I thought about them getting a taste for their own kind last night and removed the body. I buried him in a small box in the backyard.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:33 pm

An Update: Chella is back up, so it's Chella, Ozark, and Siam up. This means the crab that died was one of my very first two, Koa or Moja.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:51 pm
I am so sorry for your loss. Image

I've fed my guys crab legs. It seems to be their favorite. A bit creepy.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: I've fed my guys crab legs. It seems to be their favorite. A bit creepy.
I know that’s why I really didn’t know what to say. I mean, nutritionally, it probably would be good for them but having them eat one of their tank mates is kind of heartbreaking for us to see. I can’t push my human beliefs onto them, they are hermit crabs and it is the circle of life.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm
I know that’s why I really didn’t know what to say. I mean, nutritionally, it probably would be good for them but having them eat one of their tank mates is kind of heartbreaking for us to see. I can’t push my human beliefs onto them, they are hermit crabs and it is the circle of life.

I totally understand. I'm sure I would remove one too.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:23 pm

I doubt I could leave on there either. It is pretty sad, but yeah, the circle of life sucks sometimes. Just sayin.
I’m really sorry for the loss. I think I’m about to lose one too, but not so... violently. I wish you knew more! I am definitely going to be ordering cameras for the new tank. At least one anyway. I have to know.

Dave the Wondercrab~ Patpat the Scaredy Cat~*Prince~ MaggieMoo- Dumbo~ Billy

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:59 pm

hermiwormi wrote:An Update: Chella is back up, so it's Chella, Ozark, and Siam up. This means the crab that died was one of my very first two, Koa or Moja.

I’m so sorry. Image