Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

RiNiKy506

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Omg! That is so absolutely amazing! He really likes it! I love when your feeding him, you just hold him still and he moves in and out of his shell to get to his food! You are doing an amazing job! Praying for Eddie to make a full recovery! He is such a sweetheart!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am

God forbid I ever find myself in an emergency situation that requires an iso, i have NOTHING i could use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am
God forbid I ever find myself in an emergency situation that requires an iso, i have NOTHING i could use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tupperware, mixing bowls, cake pans, takeout containers - trust me, in an emergency anything works as an iso! And in cases like this when they aren't mobile they don't need much to keep them secure.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 am

Like wodesorel said any small containers will work even putting in your regular tank will save having another tank to deal with. Last night I caught Eddie climbing up the small water container I had him in. It's only 1.5 inches tall but he was peeking out at me. I don't think he would have been able to pull himself out but he did manage to climb up.

This morning I gave Eddie his baths. He ate some bee pollen, crab exo, and some of the Calci worm/ daphina/ chia mix. So far he seems to be doing very well.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Glad he is doing better!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Eddie ate very well again tonight! He chowed down on a fish bone mix, plant mix, nut medley, gammarus shrimp, crab exo, pork liver, and water flies. He barely touched the bee pollen and burning bush.

At the end of his feeding we gave him some coconut oil on a Q-tip. First he tasted it with his mandibles then just planted his mouth on the Q-tip! Then he did the same with peanut butter. He got that all over himself. He was being a silly crab! It was nearly impossible to hold him and the Q-tip steady for him to continue eating.

I believe we saw a molt sac on his left side near his abdomen. It's a dark grey color. It appears to be round. It could also have been one of his rear legs curled up too.

Faceful of coconut!

Covered in Peanut butter

Possible molt sac? I'll try and get a better picture tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 am

Glad he is doing better! I hope he has a good molt soon
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:42 am

Me too! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks, I hope so too! I'm thinking I have at least another week possibly two of hand feedings until he is ready.

Yesterday morning Eddie ate well again he ate chia seeds, wild salmon, calcium bites, baby food, coconut oil, brine shrimp eggs, Indonesian bat guano. He refused Irish moss.

Last night he also ate well. I forget what all he ate last night. It was late last night and forgot to list everything because I was tired.

Once again today Eddie had a great appetite. He ate Bee Pollen, crab exo, chicken, beef heart, matcha green tea biscuit, Dule flakes, greensand, baby food, brine shrimp eggs, and coconut oil. He barely picked at the Azomite and silkworm/ daphnia/chia mix.

I have been giving him his fresh and salt water baths twice a day. I am also giving him medicinal baths that another crab page recommends with myrrh root, marshamello rood, calendula Flowers, and chamomile. They believe it helps to speed up their recovery time.

This morning Eddie wanted out of his medicinal bath. Even with one leg he can partially climb up on things.

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 pm

This morning Eddie ate a little of everything I gave to him.

Tonight he barely ate for me. He picked at a little, maybe 2-3 mouthfuls of Azomite, greensand, beef liver, calci worm, aronia fruit powder, baby food, and purple sweet potato power.

He ignored gree tea biscuits, pork liver, plant mix, shredded beef, beef heart, white fish, rabbit,egg shell, crab exo, bee pollen, mysis shrimp, nut medley, plant mix, honey, and coconut oil.

This marks the 8th full day I have been feeding him. I'm going to have to review the footage to see if he was eating anything during the day.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Glad he is hanging in there

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm

I’m so happy that he is eating well, that will give him strength to have a successful molt! Keep hanging in there Eddie! We’re rooting for you!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:45 am

Eddie isn't eating as much as he did for the last day or so. He is taking a bite or two then that's it. I'm wondering if he could be getting ready to molt in just over a week of finding him. I believe I will keep trying to feed him until Thursday or Friday. If he still isn't eating I will assume he is ready for another molt. He still does not have any gel limbs so that is telling me he isn't ready. I'm not sure how soon they begin to form. I do know that after they form it is only a few days away from a molt.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:56 pm

I hope he does molt soon!