Hermits not eating! (Yes me again...I have a crab issue every month!)

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Hermits not eating! (Yes me again...I have a crab issue every month!)

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:07 pm

I’ve done this so much so I am summarizing the basics:
20 gallon tank with half and half eco earth and play sand, I’ve got 4 hernies, 2 small and 2 medium and I’m not sure species, they have salt water and fresh water available, they have a couple heating pads and the humidity stays around 80 and the temper 75-80, and I feed them fruits veggies and meats.....I recently finally got their crabitat to HCA standards and now they have dug down into their deep substrate and haven’t come up not even to eat! I was told not to worry, but they haven’t touched their food! When is this a concern?!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermits not eating! (Yes me again...I have a crab issue every month!)

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 pm

They can stay underground for as long as four to six months in some cases.

Even if they are eating, they may be nibbling in such small amounts that you may not notice anything gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:54 pm

When they go under to molt, they can stay under for months, as JoeH said. They don't need any food or water when they are molting - they eat their exo, and have carried their water in their shell down there with them. The exo is the only food they need. They won't come back up until they have molted, eaten the exo, and then waited until they have hardened up.

How long have they been under now?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

doth

Post by doth » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:35 am

they could be molting so just make sure to have nutritious foods ready cause they may be hungry when they come back up. :) raw honey is good, and make sure there are sources of calcium and protein.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Thank you guys! I had finally seen my crabs all eating and finally noticed food gone and caught them all eating and happy and even learned what foods they love :) however, today I got a different issue! Which I am posting in the emergency forum lol thanks