Hermit crab found after WEEKS missing. White spots on legs.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
dr perky

Hermit crab found after WEEKS missing. White spots on legs.

Post by dr perky » Sun May 05, 2019 8:03 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sterilized sand, 6-10”
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. They read between 79 and 90 depending on their location in the crabitat

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, sticky heat pads (on outside of crabitat)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
They have a fresh water pool and a salt water pool. Both have bubblers.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Various types of fish and fruits/veggies.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
8 years

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes, a few months ago
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A big glass crabitat with a plexiglass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 crabs. One jumbo, the other quite large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Lots

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean and complete empty/scrub once a year if possible (if no one’s molting)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Our older crab (we’ve had her 8 years, she was jumbo when she came to us) escaped for 2+ weeks and my husband found her tonight in the basement! She’s alive but has white spots on her legs. We put her in her crabitat and she has been soaking in her salt water pool. She looks “relieved” to be home, but we’re very worried about her. Anything we can do to help her right now aside from the usual food/temp/humidity/deep substrate/fresh and salt water? Specifically, does anyone know what the white spots are? We recently shampooed the carpets so she’s probably been exposed to every horrible chemical. Please help! 😢😢😢

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crab found after WEEKS missing. White spots on legs.

Post by curlysister » Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sterilized sand, 6-10”
Curly - Is this at least 3 times as deep as your largest crab? If your crabs is jumbo, you may need deeper sub.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. They read between 79 and 90 depending on their location in the crabitat

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, sticky heat pads (on outside of crabitat)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
They have a fresh water pool and a salt water pool. Both have bubblers.
Curly - What brand of dechlorinator and salt do you use?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Various types of fish and fruits/veggies.
Curly - Crabs require protein and calcium daily, do you include sources of both?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
8 years

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes, a few months ago
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A big glass crabitat with a plexiglass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 crabs. One jumbo, the other quite large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Lots

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean and complete empty/scrub once a year if possible (if no one’s molting)
Curly - Deep cleaning is not needed, except in the event of something like a bacterial bloom, as long as your substrate is proper.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Our older crab (we’ve had her 8 years, she was jumbo when she came to us) escaped for 2+ weeks and my husband found her tonight in the basement! She’s alive but has white spots on her legs. We put her in her crabitat and she has been soaking in her salt water pool. She looks “relieved” to be home, but we’re very worried about her. Anything we can do to help her right now aside from the usual food/temp/humidity/deep substrate/fresh and salt water? Specifically, does anyone know what the white spots are? We recently shampooed the carpets so she’s probably been exposed to every horrible chemical. Please help!
Curly - I have never had a crab escape, but basically he would have been in improper conditions for at least two weeks. Be sure that your conditions are excellent, and that your are offering healthy food from the complete food pyramid including healing foods.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Oh no! I don’t have anything to add, but I really hope your big guy/gal can turn it around and pull through. How scary! I am so glad you finally found him, otherwise there’s no way he’d have even a chance. Poor guy! What an adventure- I’m sure that was so much more than he bargained for! I assume you must’ve fixed whatever way he got out too! Best wishes, I hope he molts soon and well for you.

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 08, 2019 4:01 am

I'm hoping the white spots are just from having been too dry. Their exoskeleton will look much more vibrant when wet or in high humidity, and they can look very dull or ashy when they are kept too dry. Fingers crossed she didn't get into anything harmful!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed May 08, 2019 8:41 am

one of mine crawled out of his bath when i turned my back(he had mites, but i found out later they were just springtails) and he somehow climbed the plastic wall and jumped out onto my lego bin. i panicked but heard legos clinking and scopped him out. he had an adventure!
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I hope that your hermit crab will be okay. It might help if you send pictures, and/or look at some of the care sheets related to your situation.
purplepincher wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:41 am
one of mine crawled out of his bath when i turned my back(he had mites, but i found out later they were just springtails) and he somehow climbed the plastic wall and jumped out onto my lego bin. i panicked but heard legos clinking and scopped him out. he had an adventure!
Lol
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️