Sick crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

C_fiesta

Re: Sick crab

Post by C_fiesta » Fri May 31, 2019 12:14 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Follow up question. The journal & recipe say it’s good for 48 hours refrigerated. I only used half for his bath, could I use the untouched half (refrigerated) for the last 2 days of treatment or do I need to remake it fresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would think even if you didn't "use" it, you should make a fresh batch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri May 31, 2019 5:41 pm

Ok thanks, making a fresh batch now. Might need to start using the fresh batch in the morning though since it’s late and I have tired kiddos under my feet

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Ok so Seewee’s last bath is tonight and I’m
nervous. He seems to be enjoying the baths but stays in his cave most the day and night as far as I can tell. His food looks untouched but there’s been a sudden increase in saltwater consumption and he’s not staring out the side of the iso anymore. Yesterday and today his saltwater bottle cap was completely empty and the fresh water next to it looked barely touched.

Currently his food dish has dried kelp, crushed cotton seed, green sand, crushed legumes& lentils, cuttle bone, dried shrimp, bee pollen, honey, fresh broccoli & grape, and one honey nut Cheerio (to try to lure hi out of the cave).

This photo is from his bath this morning. He’s looks the same too I think.

Any thoughts?

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:54 pm

So, the problem is...? He is just lethargic?

Also, the bottle cap could have just tipped over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 pm

I don’t know if there is a problem anymore? I don’t know how to tell if he’s still sick.

He is lethargic and not eating much if any, but that could be because his temp is lower than the regular tank because iso has just little warmers instead of good heaters.

He’s not doing the staring out of iso and he’s not doing the weird reaching thing anymore.

How do I know if it’s ok to put him back in with the others? He’s not begging to get out like xenocrab suggested he’d be when ready. But I don’t know what else to do or if anything is wrong anymore.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Do you know what the approximate temperature is in the ISO? I noticed my guys are not as active if the temperature is below 75.

If you have room for the ISO in the main tank for a day or two you can see if his actions change.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Iso is 83% humidity and 73 degrees. Main tank is 89% humidity and 80 degrees.

There’s not enough room for the iso in the main tank.

I’m tempted to just put him in the main tank and see how he does now. Is that awful of me? I don’t want to hurt my other crabs, but my gut says that whatever was going on is better now. I could be wrong though.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:49 pm

I usually go by what my gut tells me with them too. You can always put him back in the main tank and see what he does. If he still stays inactive after a few days I would put him back in the ISO.

That's the worst part with caring for crabs. It's not like you can take them to the vet, have a few tests and figure out what's wrong. Pretty much all their sick care is trial and error and from people who had similar issues.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Yeah, it’s hard to know what’s right to do. My main hesitation is that he’s a gait but smaller than my other 2 crabs and one of them has been VERY active lately.

I caught my big guy trying to sneak out the other morning and again this morning ImageImage

I’ll try putting him back in tonight and keeping an eye / ear out to see how he does.

Thanks for all of your help!

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 am

Oof, woke to Seewee naked walking around this morning! Thanks to you guys I knew just what to do and was able to gently rinse him and respell him. He didn’t want to go back in his old shell, or any fir that matter really. So I finally put him in a shell that’s maybe a bit big for him, but I was able to coax him in and he’s back in iso with 4 other shells now.

While he was in iso I’d upgraded to a different water dish in the big tank and I think maybe his shell got caught between the tank side and the water dish and then he couldn’t find the other shells (high up in a container with a ladder & climbing thing leading up to it).

Last night he was interested in the big crab (king crab) while he was asleep. I checked on them several times but eventually had to go to bed and king crab was still asleep. I don’t think anything happened with them but am not 100% sure.