I accidentally brought a foreign creature home!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

I accidentally brought a foreign creature home!

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sat May 25, 2019 3:04 pm

I was on a small beach in a wildlife area and took a small shell, not realizing there’s what looks like a pill bug with fins on the back of it. There’s two small ones that have no fins. Now I have them in a small glass bowl with the shell and don’t know what to do since I won’t be going back for a long time. If I ask my grandparents for advice they’ll tell me to throw them outside. I wanted to show a photo but have no idea how to do that. I guess if I have to take care of something for a while, it’s a good thing I have a small portable empty tank back at my parents house
I always get bad grades at school, because A is for awful, B is for bad, and F is for FANTASTIC!

Cococrabgirl!

Re: I accidentally brought a foreign creature home!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm

To post pictures you need the Tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm
To post pictures you need the Tapatalk app.

I don’t think my parents would let me get that. I’m not quite ready to tell them why I would need the app anyway, and that I have this creature. Do u think there could be another way?
I always get bad grades at school, because A is for awful, B is for bad, and F is for FANTASTIC!

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Sat May 25, 2019 3:23 pm

You can also use links to show pictures? If you could find a picture of the creature on Google you could put the link into the post. I am not quite sure what to say about your parents. I think it would be best to tell your parents. But do it in a calm manner.

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Does the thing look like this?Image

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sat May 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm
Does the thing look like this?Image

That is a different color and has different markings but it looks slightly similar. I’m having an insanely hard time finding anything on google that looks like what I found. The link I took from the photo of it I sent in a text won’t work. I really don’t have much to work with. All I know is it looks somewhat similar to a pill bug, it has what looks like fins in the back, and I found it under water in an abandoned shell. It looks like some sort of parasite ig

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sat May 25, 2019 4:01 pm

It looks like one of the big isopods you see underwater. It’s small and white and I found it in a shell under the water. This is in Florida and I only see results for the huge isopods

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Copepod of some sort, and unfortunately they are marine creatures. He needs to either go back to the beach or get to an established saltwater tank. They don't last long on land.

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat May 25, 2019 10:19 pm

If there are any specialty aquatic stores nearby (not a general pet store like petsmart etc) they could maybe help take him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Do you have another adult you trust who could help you? School teacher? Friend’s parent or neighbor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:09 pm

My grandma wouldn’t let me get the salt water I needed and as a result, I’ve been carrying the haunting weight of their death for a week now. I really tried my best by putting them in spring water even though I knew they would probably die and now I have to feel terrible for something that could’ve easily been prevented if I was able to get what I needed

Topic author
FinalxFantasy

Post by FinalxFantasy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I needed the salt for my hermit crabs anyway because I was out, but she made me wait until the next day and I knew it would be too late by then but she just couldn’t listen to a word I had to say, could she? Nope, because she obviously doesn’t give two craps about a living creature and now I have to take part in something that’s partially my fault for not paying attention to the shells before taking them

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 pm

That looks like a sand crab to me. We have those at the beach here. They swim in and out with the tide.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 am

It looks very similar to a sand flea to me, which is basically another term for sand crab. They need to be returned to the ocean.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 am

I used to play with those when I was a kid. It is so sad to see how much the environment has changed. When I was a kid (many, many moons ago, they were EVERYWHERE on the beach. I can't tell you the last time I saw one. :(
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com