Escaped Crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Escaped Crab

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Okay so I have a bit of a problem, I went on a 4-day vacation and when I came back my hermit crab was loose in my room. I don't know how long he's been out but when I picked him up he appeared to be very stressed and he pinched me on the finger. As soon as I found them I put him back in his tank and immediately missed it down because I don't know how long he's been out and I hope that he hasn't got any permanent damage from it. He appears to be in good condition and luckily he has both of his claws so I won't have to hand feed him. I don't think he's dropped any limbs but he looks a little bit pale, other than being a little pale he seems fine he was moving around okay but as soon as I put him in his tank he went very himself probably just from the stress. He already has a clean bowl of fresh and saltwater and have some food but is there anything I can do for him other than just leave him alone and let him de-stress?. I found the problem over he escaped and I'm already fixed it so it won't happen again. Thank you for any replies :-)

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles) parakeet

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Re: Escaped Crab

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Sorry for anything that's been misspelled I was using voice type so I apologize.

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles) parakeet

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri May 31, 2019 3:06 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:Sorry for anything that's been misspelled I was using voice type so I apologize.

I think you did a great job. You fixed the escape opening and gave him fresh food and water. Let him be and de-stress. He may molt soon to correct any damage that happened. Don't beat yourself up and just keep an eye on him. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:01 am

Sounds like you handled it perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 am

Plasmoc wrote:Sounds like you handled it perfectly Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, he is doing just fine nowImage

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:41 am

I would let him chill out and just go about your normal food and water changes.

All I would really suggest is to add some energy boosting foods like raw organic honey and brine shrimp eggs to help give a little help if he needs it.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Maybe give him some bee pollen to help any damages that may be there that you can't see. It sounds like you are handling it well. That must have been scary!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Thank you both! It was a very scary experience for me, but I feel I handled it well and didn't freak out to much

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:11 pm

I put weights on my lids! Soup cans, small pottery and such because some of my big girls are big and I could see them trying to escape! I'm glad your crabby is ok.

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Xenocrab wrote:I put weights on my lids! Soup cans, small pottery and such because some of my big girls are big and I could see them trying to escape! I'm glad your crabby is ok.

Thank you, I also have weights on my lid after that experienceImage