Rescued a molted hermit crab from a pet store. Help!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Re: Rescued a molted hermit crab from a pet store. Help!

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am

I just checked on Jigsaw today. He's still completely limp. The enclosure still didn't smell which was weird. Si I lifted the hut to see if there was a smell coming off his body. There is a smell, but not really a fish smell... more like a chemical smell for lack of a better term. Is this a death smell?

RAHermits

Post by RAHermits » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm curious, did he end up pulling through this?

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 am

RAHermits wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 pm
I'm curious, did he end up pulling through this?
Unfortunately no he didn't. The stress might have been too much for him. I feel pretty bad about it too. I'm not sure if he was sick. The smell wasn't normal, and neither was the decomposition. It was just mush back there. Again, I feel pretty bad about the whole thing. I was really hoping he'd pull through and he seemed like he would at first. He started going downhill and on the 8th day all signs of movement stopped. I kept him in ISO for maybe a week or two just to be sure he wasn't just lethargic. I found the mushy decomp much later on. :C

At least his risk of being cannibalized was decreased at home in my ISO tank, so there's that. As long as he was safe and comfortable here, that's more than what I could've asked for.

On a positive note the Jigsaw did inspire me to rescue another much larger crab from much worse pet store conditions. He hadn't been fed or given water in several days to the point where he cannibalized two baby crabs that were with him. He's at home now in ISO adjusting to proper environments and proper diet and he seems to be doing really well.