Gaps in exoskeleton??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Cindylandwalker

Gaps in exoskeleton??

Post by Cindylandwalker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I use 6 inches of play sand but it slopes lower to where I keep their food and water.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

The gauges are on the back glass and the temperature is usually between 75 and 83 degrees. The humidity is usually at 75/76%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

I currently do not have a heat source on the tank. It is currently very hot where I live.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have a saltwater and freshwater dish. The freshwater is straight from a Poland spring bottle and I use Poland spring and instant ocean (1/2 cup to 1 gallon of water) for saltwater.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I always put crushed up Zilla River Shrimp in with some dried veggies. I occasionally put in cuttle bones and eggshells (but it seems like they don’t touch them much) and an assortment of fresh veggies. Occasionally, I’ll put in a new foods/ treats (scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, almonds, peanuts, strawberries, bananas, nutritional yeast, dried coconut, flax seeds, etc). I take out the food out within 24 hours. I have forgotten to take it out on time a couple of times though.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I’ve have had my purple pincher hermit crab a little over 2 years.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

He just molted. He dug down on June 13th and resurfaced July 22nd.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

They are kept in a 30 gallon glass tank. I have taped plastic wrap as a lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

There are two crabs. With their shells, they are about the size of a golf ball.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

There are usually 6 extra shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I do not clean the tank itself. I clean the water and food dishes and spot clean the tank by picking up scattered food and poop on the surface of the substrate.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges are used.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

I recently got a new tank about 4 months ago but other than that, it has remained the same for the 4 months.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
N/A

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hi all! My hermit crab just came up from his molt yesterday. All seemed fine, but today, when he was changing his shell, I saw that there was two large areas where he was missing his exoskeleton! My other crab does not have this. Why did this happen? How do I help him? Is it something that he can heal from or would he wait until it is time for his next molt? I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

Picture of the crab:

https://imgur.com/a/WRuzKDj

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gaps in exoskeleton??

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:43 pm

I can't really tell where it is that you have the concern about?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 pm

The exo over the gills looks very abnormal. I'm hoping it's just not hardened all the way yet. It's not missing, if it was youd be seeing the gill structures instead. For some reason it's not as dark as the surrounding exo. That can happen in their joints post molt, and I'm thinking that what you're seeing is the same thing. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be okay. It may even me normal coloration for this particular crab.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Cindylandwalker

Post by Cindylandwalker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:43 pm
I can't really tell where it is that you have the concern about?
It’s the area right above the abdomen that I’m concerned about. There’s two holes and it seems like I can see into him a bit.

Topic author
Cindylandwalker

Post by Cindylandwalker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:08 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 pm
The exo over the gills looks very abnormal. I'm hoping it's just not hardened all the way yet. It's not missing, if it was youd be seeing the gill structures instead. For some reason it's not as dark as the surrounding exo. That can happen in their joints post molt, and I'm thinking that what you're seeing is the same thing. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be okay. It may even me normal coloration for this particular crab.
Okay! Thank you! I never seen that part of him right after his molt, so hopefully it does just need a few weeks.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Cindylandwalker wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I use 6 inches of play sand but it slopes lower to where I keep their food and water.

Hermiesguardian - the entire tank needs to be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper. Then if you want to make a slope from there you can.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

The gauges are on the back glass and the temperature is usually between 75 and 83 degrees. The humidity is usually at 75/76%

Hermiesguardian - the humidity needs to be a minimum of 80%. They have modified gills and need humidity to breathe.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

I currently do not have a heat source on the tank. It is currently very hot where I live.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I have a saltwater and freshwater dish. The freshwater is straight from a Poland spring bottle and I use Poland spring and instant ocean (1/2 cup to 1 gallon of water) for saltwater.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I always put crushed up Zilla River Shrimp in with some dried veggies. I occasionally put in cuttle bones and eggshells (but it seems like they don’t touch them much) and an assortment of fresh veggies. Occasionally, I’ll put in a new foods/ treats (scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, almonds, peanuts, strawberries, bananas, nutritional yeast, dried coconut, flax seeds, etc). I take out the food out within 24 hours. I have forgotten to take it out on time a couple of times though.

Hermiesguardian - they need calcium daily. It may not look like they're eating it but they eat such tiny bits it's hard to notice. Even if they don't eat some every day they'll eat it when they need it.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I’ve have had my purple pincher hermit crab a little over 2 years.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

He just molted. He dug down on June 13th and resurfaced July 22nd.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

They are kept in a 30 gallon glass tank. I have taped plastic wrap as a lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

There are two crabs. With their shells, they are about the size of a golf ball.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

There are usually 6 extra shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I do not clean the tank itself. I clean the water and food dishes and spot clean the tank by picking up scattered food and poop on the surface of the substrate.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges are used.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

I recently got a new tank about 4 months ago but other than that, it has remained the same for the 4 months.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
N/A

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hi all! My hermit crab just came up from his molt yesterday. All seemed fine, but today, when he was changing his shell, I saw that there was two large areas where he was missing his exoskeleton! My other crab does not have this. Why did this happen? How do I help him? Is it something that he can heal from or would he wait until it is time for his next molt? I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

Picture of the crab:

https://imgur.com/a/WRuzKDj
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:04 am

I would ditch the bottled water for mixing your waters. Tap water is ok as long as it is treated with a dechlorinator like Seachems Prime. Bottled water can be purified, or possibly distilled. Sometimes it lacks the trace minerals and other things that are vital to hermits.

As hermiesguardian said, add more calciums to your crabs diet. Crab exo, egg shells, oyster shells, crushed bones and so forth. My crabs tend to go on calcium binges so it's always good to have it in the tank. I keep it in it's own bowl and can usually get away with changing it once a week.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Ah, now I see it! Sorry. I have no other ideas, sounds like what you have been told is good advice.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello. A few things.

1) Is your substrate sandcastle consistency?
2) Do you use a dechlorinator such as Prime on both waters?
3) As stated previously, IMO heat and humidity should be higher. I personally recommend a minimum of 80. I live in Florida. It is hot here. Just because it is hot outside, doesn't make it hot in your house. I have heaters on all of my crabitats. These creatures come from Caribbean climates.
4) I highly recommend more variety in their diet. They can eat practically whatever you do as long as it is on the safe food list. Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Cindylandwalker

Post by Cindylandwalker » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:04 am
I would ditch the bottled water for mixing your waters. Tap water is ok as long as it is treated with a dechlorinator like Seachems Prime. Bottled water can be purified, or possibly distilled. Sometimes it lacks the trace minerals and other things that are vital to hermits.

As hermiesguardian said, add more calciums to your crabs diet. Crab exo, egg shells, oyster shells, crushed bones and so forth. My crabs tend to go on calcium binges so it's always good to have it in the tank. I keep it in it's own bowl and can usually get away with changing it once a week.
Okay thank you! I always feared tap water because I read that both the chlorine AND metals that could be in tap water may be toxic for hermit crabs. I will make the switch. And thank you for the advice about calcium! :)

Topic author
Cindylandwalker

Post by Cindylandwalker » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:20 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:39 pm
Hello. A few things.

1) Is your substrate sandcastle consistency?
2) Do you use a dechlorinator such as Prime on both waters?
3) As stated previously, IMO heat and humidity should be higher. I personally recommend a minimum of 80. I live in Florida. It is hot here. Just because it is hot outside, doesn't make it hot in your house. I have heaters on all of my crabitats. These creatures come from Caribbean climates.
4) I highly recommend more variety in their diet. They can eat practically whatever you do as long as it is on the safe food list. Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Thank you for the advice! I’ll be sure to use it! ^.^