New crab is molting but disturbed, no tunnel now, not knowing

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

New crab is molting but disturbed, no tunnel now, not knowing

Post by crabbymomofthree » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Eco with play sand, 4-7 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes acurite digital, 76-80 degrees 90% humidity

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
heating pad on outside tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both used, bottled seawater solution till i get instant ocean, and prime used with tap water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
daily feeding after 24-48 hours, salad green, carrots, cuddle bone, strawberries, red bell pepper, broccoli, sunflower seed and pumpkin seeds (no salt)
adding more to diet a I learn, NO PELLETS.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
1 week, unknown species, less then 1 inch shell from local pet store

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I think molting now.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon, screen top with plastic wrap to keep heat humidity in.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 crabs, 2 above ground, (1) 1 inch opening shell, (1) a wee less than a inch, (3) molting crab, unknown but smaller then the 1 inch shell opening

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
12 as of now

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I have had only 2 weeks

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
new eco, mopani wood (6-8 inch), live moss for hermit crabs, 3 dishes, a corner food bowl and 2 new deeper water dishes

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I bought 1 new hermit, from local pet store 1 week ago to be with my 2 new herms of 2 weeks go, I am a new hermit crab lover,

I since learned after countless hours of researching about care and behaviour, that , I think I bought a molting crab, he/she was very light in color and the lady who grabbed the poor love, got it from below the surface, which I know realize was a possible molting hermit. I got it home and immediately it dug and was not to be seen again.

unbeknownst to me in lack of crab care, what molting was (ugh) I dug around and replaced Eco with more, and could not find it, there is no tunnel for air and I don't know where he/she is, now I am worried, as I put new items in and moved ALL the substrate so much (for that I am so sad and sorry, i just did not know :( prior to more research).

So, I bought a new 29 gallon tank yesterday and new heating pads and everything they could ever want, to build them a better home and want to move all the crabs over.

But, what should I do with the new possible molting under surface Crab? Should I move it to new 29 gallon tank? As It was buried and now I learned it does needed his her original tunnel for air!! and to get out.

I do not want it to die underground. I can leave it in the old tank if need be, and move the 2 new ones above ground herm kids, but I am afraid I killed it with suffocation. What should I do, and thank you :(

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New crab is molting but disturbed, no tunnel now, not knowing

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:55 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Eco with play sand, 4-7 inches
Curly - your sub should be at least 6 inches throughout the whole tank.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes acurite digital, 76-80 degrees 90% humidity

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
heating pad on outside tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both used, bottled seawater solution till i get instant ocean, and prime used with tap water
Curly - Great that you have IO on order!

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
daily feeding after 24-48 hours, salad green, carrots, cuddle bone, strawberries, red bell pepper, broccoli, sunflower seed and pumpkin seeds (no salt)
adding more to diet a I learn, NO PELLETS.
Curly - You need a source of protein daily as well. Check out the nutrition care sheet for more information

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
1 week, unknown species, less then 1 inch shell from local pet store

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I think molting now.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon, screen top with plastic wrap to keep heat humidity in.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 crabs, 2 above ground, (1) 1 inch opening shell, (1) a wee less than a inch, (3) molting crab, unknown but smaller then the 1 inch shell opening

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
12 as of now

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I have had only 2 weeks

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
new eco, mopani wood (6-8 inch), live moss for hermit crabs, 3 dishes, a corner food bowl and 2 new deeper water dishes

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I bought 1 new hermit, from local pet store 1 week ago to be with my 2 new herms of 2 weeks go, I am a new hermit crab lover,

I since learned after countless hours of researching about care and behaviour, that , I think I bought a molting crab, he/she was very light in color and the lady who grabbed the poor love, got it from below the surface, which I know realize was a possible molting hermit. I got it home and immediately it dug and was not to be seen again.

unbeknownst to me in lack of crab care, what molting was (ugh) I dug around and replaced Eco with more, and could not find it, there is no tunnel for air and I don't know where he/she is, now I am worried, as I put new items in and moved ALL the substrate so much (for that I am so sad and sorry, i just did not know :( prior to more research).

So, I bought a new 29 gallon tank yesterday and new heating pads and everything they could ever want, to build them a better home and want to move all the crabs over.

But, what should I do with the new possible molting under surface Crab? Should I move it to new 29 gallon tank? As It was buried and now I learned it does needed his her original tunnel for air!! and to get out.

I do not want it to die underground. I can leave it in the old tank if need be, and move the 2 new ones above ground herm kids, but I am afraid I killed it with suffocation. What should I do, and thank you :(
Curly - I am not an expert, and others may chime in with different advice. Personally I would probably wait for the molter to resurface. If you moved the substrate and didn't find him, you may not have disturbed him. Digging for him now would definately disturb him. I would put the other two in the new tank, and wait for this guy to surface - if you can keep the conditions correct in both tanks.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Re: New crab is molting but disturbed, no tunnel now, not knowing

Post by crabbymomofthree » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:24 pm

thanks, yes ... the substrate will be half the tank deep in my new 29 gallon :o

But what about my under sub buddy, since i destroyed its tunnel :( w/o proper knowledge, will he or she be able to come up to the surface still, and get enough air?

As you said, OK, I will keep the under buddy in old 10 gallon tank, with heat and humidity : 80 degrees and 80-90% humidity, till emerges, um.. I hope, I sure don't want to think I killed the new lil baby. :cry:

My others are so happy go lucky, out and about esp at night, and perk up and come out to see me, to peek and say "Hi" when I coo and talk to them, there awfully sweet little animals :D that we rescued from NJ boardwalk, "boardwalk Joe" got into a new shell last night, :clap: 12 hours after putting new ones in his house, (non painted natural) and I threw the painted one out, can't seem to get "billie" the other BW rescue into a new one yet, he/she looked and fondled a few over but did not change pants yet, adding more sizes to the wardrobe later today.