Crab Out Of Shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

Crab Out Of Shell

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Zoo med Eco earth mixed with zoo med sand thats 6 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Gauges located in the back next to heat pad, usually reading 70-80 degrees with 80-90% humidity

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Heating pad in the back of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and fresh water are in the tank, Activ Hermit brand

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Hermit crab food and fruit salad from zoo med and Wardley dried shrimp

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
2 purple pinchers for 7 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I am unsure about molts but this particular crab has changed shell at least 4 times

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon tank with a sliding lid. The lid has a netting covered in plastic wrap to keep in humidity

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 crabs that fit in your palm

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Around 5

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not that i know of

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I just replaced the soil and swap out food every other day

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I just came home from a vacation and found that one of my crabs has left its shell. Its sitting at the top of the soil not moving. 5 days ago they were checked on and everything was normal. My second crab is fine.

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

Re: Crab Out Of Shell

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 am

Update: he has a fishy smell. Hes definitely passed. Rip little guy.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am

Sounds like your conditions are good. No need to swap out soil. Just spot clean. Do you have the right type of shells? And the HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. He needs to be reshelled immediately. Rinse out his shell or pick the lightest shell you have. Gently rinse him with dechlorinated fresh water and gently back him into a shell. If he doesn't go in or comes put again, put him in a seperate container with a tiny amount of dfw in bottom and place a few shells in there. Leave him be for awhile.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am

Oh, I'm sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Sorry about the loss of your crab.
Just a couple of suggestions:

That brand of salt water isn't safe. You want to use a dechlorinator such as Prime, and a marine salt such as Instant Ocean. See the Water care sheet for further info.

Zoo Med hermit crab food is not considered a safe appropriate food, even though it is marketed for crabs. The Fruit Salad is okay because it has nothing added to it. Your crabs also need a source of calcium daily. See the Food care sheets for lots of info about what to feed.

If you have proper substrate, it never needs to be removed and replaced. Just spot cleaning is all that is needed.

HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. There is also a care sheet that describes the correct shells to buy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers