threw away exoskeleton

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
srwalter

threw away exoskeleton

Post by srwalter » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? eco earth, 7 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? They’re on the inside of the tank, the temperature is usually 78 degrees and the humidity is 75%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, a heating pad.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt, salt water is a premixed hermit crab formula and fresh water is from a gallon of distilled water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
They get fed biweekly, hermit crab pellets and a dried fruit and vegetable mix.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Not sure the species, I’ve had him since this past June.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
2 weeks ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon tank for 2 crabs, it has a metal grated lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, one uses a 3/4 inch opening shell and the other a 1 1/2 inch opening shell.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
monthly, I wipe it down and replace the substrate

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
yes, I just rinse them with water and get new ones fairly often.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I was away at college and my big crab, Wonton, molted. My dad threw away his exoskeleton so he didn’t get to eat it and that has me really worried. He hasn’t really moved since molting, my mom moved him to another part of the tank and he dug down some but the top of his shell is still visible. I don’t smell anything rotten so I think he’s still alive but I don’t know how to help him/ find a substitute for his exoskeleton.

IsolatedShadow

Re: threw away exoskeleton

Post by IsolatedShadow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:10 pm

srwalter wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 pm
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? eco earth, 7 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? They’re on the inside of the tank, the temperature is usually 78 degrees and the humidity is 75%

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt, salt water is a premixed hermit crab formula and fresh water is from a gallon of distilled water.

2 weeks ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

no

no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I was away at college and my big crab, Wonton, molted. My dad threw away his exoskeleton so he didn’t get to eat it and that has me really worried. He hasn’t really moved since molting, my mom moved him to another part of the tank and he dug down some but the top of his shell is still visible. I don’t smell anything rotten so I think he’s still alive but I don’t know how to help him/ find a substitute for his exoskeleton.

You can offer things like Eggshell, cuttlebone (found for pet birds often), and other kinds of crab Exo (like the crab legs and stuff at the seafood section of a store). Also, when he gets up and about again i think it would be good to offer some healing foods like honey and boiled egg!
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 pm

srwalter wrote:Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

I'll put my answers below yours. Hope this helps! Image

CL77-Adding play sand mixed with dechlorinated water (to sand castle consistancy) to your EE can help with humidity. Misting too often with EE can lead to flooding. Other members on here have used just EE for their substrate and do fine though. Just thinking of ways to boost your humidity in the tank a bit.

CL77-If you can get the humidity up to 80% or higher, that will help him recover faster and make it easier to breathe.

CL77-Usually the salt marketed for hermits doesn't do anything. It's best to buy a marine salt like Instant Ocean and mix your own salt water (it has all the minerals they need). Distilled water also lacks the vitamins and minerals crabs need. You are better off using tap or spring water with Prime dechlorinator.

CL77-The foods marketed for hermits are usually not good for them (filled with preservatives etc.) It's important they have a good source of calcium/protein in their diet. Variety is key. Check out the safe food list here on the website. They can pretty much eat what we eat (plain, no seasonings). I order food from The Hermit Crab Patch and my crabs love it.

2 weeks ago.

CL77- You can cover the lid in saran wrap or plexiglass to help boost the humidity.

CL77-The HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells be available per crab.

no

CL77-You don't have to replace the substrate. You can add substrate as needed (if it settles), and you can spot clean for poop and old food.

CL77-You can throw away the sponges. They harbor bacteria and aren't needed.

no

CL77-IsolatedShadow gave some good suggestions. You can also offer calcium powder in a dish. I do that for my crabs and they love it.
https://smile.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calciu ... i+c&sr=8-3

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Safe food list for hermits:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Did your dad dig the crab up? Or did it molt on the surface.
If a crab is buried under the sub, you should never dig it up except in an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom.
Your newly molted crab needs to be isolated from the other crab. You can use a 2L pop bottle, with the lid off, and cut off the bottom. Put it over the crab so it still has the proper tank conditions.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:02 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=79700

Here is a list of some calcium rich foods that you could try offering to your crab. :)
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 am

While not distinctly related to the topic on hand, I would suggest looking into alternatives for the salt. As mentioned above, you're looking for salt used for marine aquariums. Some popular brands are instant ocean and redsea, but there's other salts available.

The ecoearth is probsbly what maintained your humdiity. 75% is fine, as long as its over 70%.... many strive for 80% since it has a greater margin of error (10% difference to reccomended min, compared to 5%....) and some have reported increased crab activity - but this may be attributed to an increase in temperature, since heat/humidity often gpes hand in hand. But wrapping the lid on saran wrap, or getting a plexiglass sheet to cover the top is never a bad idea as may trap in some heat/humidity.

As for you're crab, best bet would be trying to keep disturbances to a minimum, and offering foods rich in calcium (cuttlefish bone or eggshells) and chitin (shrimp/crabs/inverts; fresh or probably better off dried, to keep spoilage to a min, mushrooms).... and water (magnesium carbonate, which forms a small composition of the exo... but this is offered usually).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Kcl

Post by Kcl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:59 am

Update***. It’s still alive! I still have it isolated and it hasn’t yet been out and about. I haven’t touched him. I did spy what I think was him eating at the egg shell. It has moved and dug in but I haven’t seen him move for a week+/-. Since then our other crab has dug in and I haven’t seen it for a week or so. Do I wait until I see movement from both of them to release them again? Any idea how long that may be? I feel like the first one is stuck in his small spot and would prefer the space but I don’t want to set up cannibalistic situation!