Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Xack

Re: Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Post by Xack » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 pm

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:53 pm

He is absolutely precious! Sending healing crabby vibes for little sweetheart.

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm

What happened to him stinks and I wish u the best. Please do consider the size of your tank versus the amount of crabs like riniky506 has mentioned. That is why these things tend to happen. Wouldn’t want this to be an ongoing issue where you wind up having something worse come from it. We are all just trying to help u and the crabbies! ❤️
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Crabby in NJ wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm
What happened to him stinks and I wish u the best. Please do consider the size of your tank versus the amount of crabs like riniky506 has mentioned. That is why these things tend to happen. Wouldn’t want this to be an ongoing issue where you wind up having something worse come from it. We are all just trying to help u and the crabbies! ❤️
Thank you so much! Also, yes no worries I do plan to upgrade the tank asap. It just sucks because in the year that we have had crabs this is the first time something like this has happened :( if I could go pick up a 55g tank right now I absolutely would. Unfortunately we are just a bit tight on money, mainly because we are in progress of planning a wedding. However as soon as we can afford it, we will be going straight to Petco for their $1 per gallon deal! :crabbigsmile: Thank you, and everyone else again for the well wishes and help

RiNiKy506

Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Definitely with you on being tight for money right now. Check apps like LetGo, even eBay can have great deals on tanks. I’ve gotten most of mine all used. Remember to try to stick with $1per gallon on used tanks over a year old or close to it, unless they have a nice wooden stand with them, then they’re usually worth more. I got one of my 55gal with a wooden stand for $65, and the other with a metal stand for $30. I didn’t know the $1per gallon for used tanks and I had paid a lot more for some of my other tanks. I had found a website that explained pricing used tanks, I thought it was very helpful. The $1/gallon pet store sales are usually just the smaller tanks, I think it might be up to 40 gallons but I can’t remember.

Used tank buying guide:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/for ... t.451964/

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Quick update! Tiny is doing well, has been able to eat and get water on his own. I had a wyze cam on the way in the mail when the incident happened so I now have that setup on his home. Today he tried to bury himself. However he was only able to make somewhat of a dent in the substrate for himself. I am just wondering do you guys think I should make a hole for him and then cover it up with something like a flat pectin seashell. He hasn't been eating as much as he originally was, it's just hard for me to see the signs of molting as it may be for someone else. I also don't want to put him in a hole that he cant get out of if he wants too. I of course check on him constantly so I would know if he tried, but just wanted to get some opinions!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Xack wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 pm
so.adorable. :hearts:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:53 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 pm
so.adorable. :hearts:
I will let him know! :crabbigsmile: He is doing very well! He can somehow bury and unbury himself with only one leg and claw, very proud of him!

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Also we just ordered a bunch of stuff from Hermie's Kitchen so hopefully him and the rest of our lovelies will enjoy that stuff. Ordered the 40 sample pack and some other stuff specifically for our injured guy. I will keep everyone updated as things happen of course!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 pm

Xack wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm
Also we just ordered a bunch of stuff from Hermie's Kitchen so hopefully him and the rest of our lovelies will enjoy that stuff. Ordered the 40 sample pack and some other stuff specifically for our injured guy. I will keep everyone updated as things happen of course!
Aw! I'm sure they'll love it! Can't wait to order a hammock for my babies! <3
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Update! Tiny is doing amazing, he has just finished with a recent molt and seems to have his big claw back, as well as most of his legs! Thank you everyone for all help and advice, he and myself greatly appreciate it and could not have done it without the support. I will try to post a picture soon

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Xack wrote:Update! Tiny is doing amazing, he has just finished with a recent molt and seems to have his big claw back, as well as most of his legs! Thank you everyone for all help and advice, he and myself greatly appreciate it and could not have done it without the support. I will try to post a picture soon
Hooray Tiny!! Always such a happy day to hear a success story! It’s inspiring. Image
So glad he’s turned around for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I kept a day to day log of his accomplishments and improvements. I got the idea from the examples of other members with attacks crabs. I thought I was gonna need a lot more paper lol, those stories went as long as almost a year! It's only been about a month though since he was attacked and put in iso. I haven't returned him yet as I want to make sure he has all of his limbs and is back to normal behavior before I do. He is going to love it once he does though I hope. He must have been so lonely in there all by himself, but I couldn't be happier with how he has been.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm

So glad he is doing well! Keep healing little buddy!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:47 pm

I'm a bit late to this post. We had an issue with our little racing crab Eddie. We had a flood and bloom in out tank. when we went digging we found Eddie with only one leg. I set up a crabby hospital and hand fed him twice a day for nearly a month. Everyone here and myself though he was going to pull through. He was eating very well and a lot daily. I really think he had some sort of bowel issue from being immobile for so long.

I kept a pretty thorough daily log of his feeding and actions. I really think I did every thing I possibly could for him. I think he passed of something underlying that we couldn't detect. Looking back the only thing I would change in his care would have been to allow him to be more active in his crabby wheel chair for some exercise. I don't know if that would have helped or not.

Here is the link to Eddies care. I still get choked up when I think about him. He was our favorite little racing crab!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=119963&hilit=Molti ... rial+bloom
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities