crab dug up other crab while he was molting??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
KingLui

crab dug up other crab while he was molting??

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 5:1 play sand to eco earth, 6 inches on the lowest end

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? slightly off center on the back of the tank, humidity is at a constant 85-90, temp is at 80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Zoomed uth, stuck to the back of the tank, it’s the largest one they offer

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? both are available, aqua safe for the freshwater and a liquid saltwater solution i got from the pet store

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? fresh fruits, veggies and egg shells and some times some treats like shrimp, honey and meal worms

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
purple pincher, had her for a year and a half

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
think she was in the progress of molting

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 40g breeder, glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
5 crabs, 1 large, 2 medium and 2 tiny

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 25+ shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
nope

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
food clean up, occasionally i wipe the glass sides

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? feed them a two shrimps a couple days ago for the first time

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? i let them do there thing, im not hands on with them

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
woke up this morning to this scene, the white shell is empty and i found the blue guy with limbs all around him, but he hasn’t molted. the limbs appear to be gel likeImage[/img][/img][/img]

avocadocrabbies

Re: crab dug up other crab while he was molting??

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 am

The picture has not gone thru :( but to clarify, the blue guy (which size is he?) was on the surface, out of his shell and his limbs were all around him? Another crab could've dug him up but if he was molting when he got dug up, technically none of his limbs should be apart from his body, just a partial exoskeleton. Another crab might have attacked him for the shell maybe? Also if you really want to send a picture you can email it to me avamin2005@icloud.com but that's a bit overkill haha
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am

blue guy is a tiny to small, he just changed shells yesterday. the crab he attacked was a medium, which went down to molt like two weeks ago. also how do I post a pic? and I found both partially under a rock

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:30 am

Sorry hang on, so the crab that was attacked is the blue guy or the medium guy? From what I can understand, the blue guy was about to molt or preparing to molt, and the medium was already molting and the blue guy went down and attacked him.

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:32 am

found them exactly like this, blue guy is a small and the one in the white shell was a medium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am

white shell crab was down for a molt, and a assume the blue crab went down and dug him up

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 am

Okay, so I think they probably had a fight or something, or possibly it could be the result of a molt(s) gone wrong. Most importantly: where are they at right now? Have both of them gone back under the substrate? If they have gone back under, you can assume that they r probably molting and should be okay. If not, the crabby missing a bunch of his limbs might need some extra help getting around (I know some people that are great with injured crab tips)

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Also, if the white shell guy is under the substrate even though he lost his limbs, I would recommend moving the blue shell guy to an iso tank to prevent him from attacking white shell guy again.

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Blue shelled guy moved to another spot, but I checked the white shell and theres no one inside. I isolated the crime scene with a cup, but from what I saw it looks like the white shelled crab was eaten because I see gel like limbs:(

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 pm

I think white shelled crab is gone, I dug and found his abdomen

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40 pm

oh no! :((( that really sucks. In that case, I'd probably get rid of white shell guy's old limbs, don't let blue shell eat them too because he might develop an appetite for his friend :(. Are there any other crabs in your tank? Might want to take precautionary measures for them to protect them from blue shell crab. (maybe when a crab goes down to molt, you can iso tank them so blue shell won't attack them like he did to white shell)

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:56 pm

everyone else is down right now except for the large crab, I'm setting up a iso tank for blue shelled crab right now so he won't do the same:(

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Yeah, iso tank sounds good. Tbh, I don't think that eating his friend was an act of aggression, I think he may have been hungry. While the blue shell guy is in his iso, maybe introduce a higher protein and calcium diet? Another idea; it might be bothersome, but every time a crab goes down to molt, you could move the blue shell guy to the iso in order to protect the crab that went down.

Topic author
KingLui

Post by KingLui » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm

yeah i don’t think it was a act of aggression either, but rather a diet problem. im ordering a variety of new food so this hopefully wouldn’t happen again

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm so sorry this happened to you :( Like avamin2005 said, I think an ISO would be a good idea, and your crab was probably just hungry.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
R.I.P George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, Shelly, and Cosmo the dog