Crab died

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Sametboys

Crab died

Post by Sametboys » Sat May 02, 2020 11:16 am

I made the uneducated decision to buy 3 hermits from a costal gift shop, then after educating myself somewhat I quickly tried my best to give my crabs what was needed to thrive , I obviously have more I need to do mostly getting a bigger tank but , I have/had 3 crabs, my one crab whom was the only one not always buried had seemingly been doing okay for the past 2-3 months but I found him today dead(smelled of dead fish as well) he was full of sand and he never changed from his painted shell.

I’m not quite sure why he passed as I assumed he was doing the best since he was the most active, my main issue is temperate I think , I have 2 heating pads on the side of the tank, one for small 5 gallon tanks and another one for 10gals but my thermometer which is on the opposite side still reads about 70 degrees, one crab came up a day ago after not being seen for a month , she changed shells and went back into hiding

Any ideas on what may have happened or suggestions to avoid this for my other crabs?? Thanks !

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Half the cage is play sand 6in deep other half is eco earth trending down from 5-3 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Humidity isn’t steady but is normally around 80 temp 70 on cool side 75 on heated side

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
2 heating pads

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh bottled water and salt water deep enough to submerge although I’ve never seen them climb into it

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Hermit crab variety diet from “thrive” changed every few days and fresh fruits occasionally

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About 3 months and I’m unsure but I think PP

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Only one has molted that I can confirm

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20gal mesh lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 all small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
About 8

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Drift wood that I boiled added about 2 weeks ago

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJrocks003

Re: Crab died

Post by FJrocks003 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm

1: Substrate should be mixed together, not separate (5:1 ratio of sand to coco fiber is recommended) and should be 6" all around.
5: I have not came across that brand before so be sure to check to make sure it's on the safe foods list. Food should be changed out daily and fresh food as well as supplements for things like calcium and protein should be provided with the food if the brand of food you are using does not include it already.
I wouldn't worry about what happened to the one crab, none of the things you were doing wrong would have killed the crab in that period of time (you still do need to fix them though). He/she probably was mistreated before you got her/him and died do to that, it could be anything from improper diet to painted shells. For now just fix up the things I mentioned above and if you see any weird behavor in your other crabs let us know and we will be happy to help. :D
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
Sametboys

Post by Sametboys » Sat May 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Okay well I’ll have to wait to mix the substrate as I still have one crab potentially molting, I will look at the food list and ensure quality, is the temperature okay where it’s at ?

Should I look into adopting a new crab, I don’t want mine to get depressed?

Topic author
Sametboys

Post by Sametboys » Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm

And thanks for the reply!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Sametboys wrote:Okay well I’ll have to wait to mix the substrate as I still have one crab potentially molting, I will look at the food list and ensure quality, is the temperature okay where it’s at ?

Should I look into adopting a new crab, I don’t want mine to get depressed?

You should shoot for at least 75 deg in the entire tank for PP. Anything less and the crabs can become more lethargic/inactive.
If you still have 2 crabs, you don't need another buddy unless you want one. My crabby was alone after his friend died last year. I was able to adopt 3 crabs from the HCA page, and my crab is BFF with one of the rescues. Image
So sorry to hear about the loss of your crabby!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 02, 2020 6:30 pm

I made the uneducated decision to buy 3 hermits from a costal gift shop, then after educating myself somewhat I quickly tried my best to give my crabs what was needed to thrive , I obviously have more I need to do mostly getting a bigger tank but , I have/had 3 crabs, my one crab whom was the only one not always buried had seemingly been doing okay for the past 2-3 months but I found him today dead(smelled of dead fish as well) he was full of sand and he never changed from his painted shell.

I’m not quite sure why he passed as I assumed he was doing the best since he was the most active, my main issue is temperate I think , I have 2 heating pads on the side of the tank, one for small 5 gallon tanks and another one for 10gals but my thermometer which is on the opposite side still reads about 70 degrees, one crab came up a day ago after not being seen for a month , she changed shells and went back into hiding

Any ideas on what may have happened or suggestions to avoid this for my other crabs?? Thanks !

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Half the cage is play sand 6in deep other half is eco earth trending down from 5-3 inches
Curly - Sub should be at least 6 inches deep, or three times as deep as your largest crab, through the whole tank. If you want a slope, the low end of the slope should be at least 6 inches. It is okay to have separate EE and sand, but eventually the crabs will probably just mix it all together anyways. The 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE is the most common ratio used - it is easy to maintain, holds it's shape well (it should be moist enough to hold shape but not so wet that water pools), and helps with humidity.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Humidity isn’t steady but is normally around 80 temp 70 on cool side 75 on heated side

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
2 heating pads
Curly - If the heat pads are the type that have a sticky side, they can't be insulated over top. But you could put some insulation on the back of the tank to help keep the heat in. If the heat pads are the kind that you use duct tape to attach, you should be able to insulate over top of them too.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh bottled water and salt water deep enough to submerge although I’ve never seen them climb into it
Curly - Are you using bottled salt water too? Unfortunately, most products marketed for hermit crabs aren't appropriate or safe. It's best (and cheaper) to use a dechlorinator like Prime with tap water for fresh. And then add a marine salt like Instant Ocean for the salt water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Hermit crab variety diet from “thrive” changed every few days and fresh fruits occasionally
Curly - Many commercial foods contain artificial ingredients or preservatives. The 'food' care sheet outlines what to look for that isn't safe. If you are feeling dried food, it can be left in for a couple of/ a few days before needing replaced. Crabs also need a source of protein and calcium daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About 3 months and I’m unsure but I think PP

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Only one has molted that I can confirm

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20gal mesh lid
Curly - If you cover the mesh with saran wrap, it will help hold in the humidity. You can then add a blanket over the top to help hold in heat. Or you can get a plexiglass or glass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 all small
Curly - How big is your tank?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
About 8
Curly - HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Drift wood that I boiled added about 2 weeks ago

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No.

Curly - Crabs are often kept in terrible conditions before we get them. Even if our conditions are perfect, the crabs will often not be able to recover. There is a care sheet about 'post purchase syndrome' that explains it. They are at most risk of passing away until they have molted once.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Sametboys

Post by Sametboys » Sat May 02, 2020 6:52 pm

[mention]curlysister [/mention] thanks for the info , I will change my salt water option as I’m using an additive “made for hermits” and I’ll be changing up the diet as well , I have a 10 gal tank at the moment, what’s the best way to insulate with my sticky side style heaters ?

RachelStark27

Post by RachelStark27 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:09 pm

I only use sand in my hermit crab tank. It starts a 4 in deep to about 10 inches. They seem to love it.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 02, 2020 11:09 pm

RachelStark27 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:09 pm
I only use sand in my hermit crab tank. It starts a 4 in deep to about 10 inches. They seem to love it.
The problem with substrate less than 6 inches is that molting crabs give off a yummy smell which attracts the other crabs and they will probably eat him. A minimum of 6 inches gives them the best chance for that not happening.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 pm

With the sticky side heaters, you just can't put any insulation over top of them. So if you have one on each side, you could insulate the back of your tank. You could also insulate the top - you will want to cover up the mesh to keep the humidity in anyways. Some people buy a product like Reflectix, but others use home-make insulation like cardboard and tinfoil. I have a plexi glass lid, and find that a blanket folded up on top of half of it is a good insulator too.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers