Accidentally dug up a crab but not sure if he was molting

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
JF27051

Accidentally dug up a crab but not sure if he was molting

Post by JF27051 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have coconut fiber and is currently only 4 inches deep (I have more on the way)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, they’re located in the back of the tank about half way up and the temp is usually around 80 in the morning at 78 at night and I try and keep the humidity around 78

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, I have a lamp that gives off heat some as well as an under-tank heater (located in the back)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both fresh and salt water are available. I use instant ocean for salt and prime for the fresh water. For salt water I use 1/2 cup for every 1 gallon of water and for the freshwater I use 2 drops for every 1 gallon of water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I give them a variety of fruits and vegetables along with the pellet food used in the store and replace it every night

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I’ve only had them for 4 days and I believe that are Caribbean crabs but I could be wrong

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I’m not aware of any molting currently and I’m not sure the last time they did

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They are kept in a 40 gallon tank with a mesh screen lid on top

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
I have 4 small- medium crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Right now I have 9 with some more coming in the mail

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
It’s newly set up so I haven’t cleaned it yet

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
I don’t have any sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I replaced they’re water dishes with deeper pools and added some more substrate

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I got 4 crabs a few days ago and 1 of them had dug down straight away. Today I was adding some more substrate to their tank To create the right depth when I somehow uncovered the one that had dug down (his name is Herman). Since I’m new to this I freaked out because I wasn’t sure if he was molting or simply hiding because of the new enclosure. I looked it up and read to either cover him or put him in a separate tank if he was molting Since I wasn’t sure I put him in an isolation tank since I had one just to be safe.
When moving him I looked to see if he looked pale but he looked the healthy/ normal color so I wasn’t sure.
So my question is was he just hiding or is he in the early stages of molting? And would putting him back with the others be safe or should he stay in the iso tank until I know for sure?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Accidentally dug up a crab but not sure if he was molting

Post by JoeHermits » Sun May 03, 2020 9:10 am

Keep him in isolation until he’s moving around again on the surface.

The actual act of molting is very brief. Most of the time a hermit crab spends underground is preparing for and recovering from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk