came out of shell when picked up

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
GRMU99

came out of shell when picked up

Post by GRMU99 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:11 pm

I recently got 2 new hermit crabs on monday. They were both doing just fine. As soon as I put them in the tank the crab went straight in the one water pool and just sat there almost all day on monday. So, last night I gave them new food and they were both eating just fine. But, today I went to check on them and the one was hanging out of shell. As soon as picked him up to make sure he was ok he just almost fell right out of the shell. He did move his legs very very slowly.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? EE/sand about 7inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? yes and its digital combo in the middle of the tank. temp reads 84 and the humidity is 86

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes and its a flukers's dont know the size. It's on the back right side

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? 2 water pools with bubbles. Salt water is instant ocean and they are both treated with Seachem Prime

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? stuff from thehermitcrabpatch.com and gets replace about every other night or so depending how messy it is.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 4 days and its PP

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? no.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 29gl with a glass canopy

]9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 one small and 3 med

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? about 15

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I just change out the substate yesterday since the substate kept dying out.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? not since I got them

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. hanging out of shell lifelessly. But, was eating last night and sitting water pool on monday.

2 cats
Buddy and Belle

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: came out of shell when picked up

Post by curlysister » Thu May 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Do you know what kind of conditions they were kept in before you got them? Your tank looks pretty good, I am thinking it could have been a problem with their previous environment?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:11 am

No. He was shipped to me. I think it was just PPS cause he did died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 am

I am sorry to hear that he passed away. It does sound like PPS, unfortunately.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 09, 2020 7:06 pm

Best wishes :love::
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺