Weird Corner Obsession

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Slickk

Weird Corner Obsession

Post by Slickk » Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm

I'll try and answer these questions it provided, but they might not be all that important. This is my second time having to type this out, so I apologise if I leave anything out.

So I recently received two Ecuadorian Hermit Crabs (Settra and Azathoth), and they seemed to scuttle along the tank and climb everything. Settra has been the more aggressive and energetic, so what he's doing now kind of shocks me. He went to a corner of the tank, and just started digging. His eyes glossed over, and movement seized. His once active antennas went still. He only occasionally dug sand, and reacted as Settra normally does when something gets too close (starts this violent squirm and looks like he'll gladly pinch you). I figured he may be molting, or perhaps the poor creature was succumbing to his poor conditions at the store he was kept at initially. However, this morning I noticed that Settra was once again drinking copious amounts of salt water, and he seemed very happy and active. In his place was Azathoth. She assumed that same glossed look, only occasionally digging. She never went to that side of the tank, so I'm stumped on why she would help. They didn't seem to care much for each other before this.

Setup:
20 gallon tank
Sand/soil substrate, 3x the size of them
Both Fresh and salt water, without a sponge
Humidity and temp is kept around 80
Diet is varied
Plenty of space to run
Plenty of hiding places
Plenty of spots to climb

Question is, why are they doing this? Why are they taking turns? Why are they just now getting along? Why do they enter an almost death like state while doing only this one action? It all stumps me. Any help would be appreciated. I'm a bit concerned about the whole ordeal.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weird Corner Obsession

Post by curlysister » Fri May 08, 2020 7:03 pm

So I recently received two Ecuadorian Hermit Crabs (Settra and Azathoth), and they seemed to scuttle along the tank and climb everything. Settra has been the more aggressive and energetic, so what he's doing now kind of shocks me. He went to a corner of the tank, and just started digging. His eyes glossed over, and movement seized. His once active antennas went still. He only occasionally dug sand, and reacted as Settra normally does when something gets too close (starts this violent squirm and looks like he'll gladly pinch you). I figured he may be molting, or perhaps the poor creature was succumbing to his poor conditions at the store he was kept at initially. However, this morning I noticed that Settra was once again drinking copious amounts of salt water, and he seemed very happy and active. In his place was Azathoth. She assumed that same glossed look, only occasionally digging. She never went to that side of the tank, so I'm stumped on why she would help. They didn't seem to care much for each other before this.

Setup:
20 gallon tank
Sand/soil substrate, 3x the size of them
Curly - E's often like deeper substrate than PP's, like 10-12 inches. Are you using play sand and EE? Is it moist enough to hold it's shape but not so wet that water pools?

Both Fresh and salt water, without a sponge
Curly - What brand of dechlorinator and salt are you using?

Humidity and temp is kept around 80
Diet is varied
Curly - Are you providing protein and calcium daily?

Plenty of space to run
Plenty of hiding places
Plenty of spots to climb

Question is, why are they doing this? Why are they taking turns? Why are they just now getting along? Why do they enter an almost death like state while doing only this one action? It all stumps me. Any help would be appreciated. I'm a bit concerned about the whole ordeal.
Curly - How long have you had them? If they are new to you and were in poor conditions at the store, they could just be getting used to their new surroundings.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:56 pm

My E, Cocoa, has the same habit with the corner of the tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:56 pm

I recommend the following with E's:
At least 10 gallons per crab
At least 10-12" of substrate - E's love to dig!
E's love higher temps. I let my tank get up to 85.
At least 2 protein and 2 calcium sources daily.
By following these protocols, I have had happy Es that breed and do not have any issues.

As far as boredom - perhaps get them a plastic hamster wheel and modify it! My Es live on the wheels!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com