Injured Leg from Fall

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
LlamaSeal

Injured Leg from Fall

Post by LlamaSeal » Sat May 16, 2020 12:11 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
EE only, 4 inches (planning on getting Play sand and deeper substrate)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Located in the top left corner of the tank, around 75-80F and 75-90% humidity

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Undertank Heater, on the side of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Bottled water, tropical hermit crab soaking salt

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Every 2 days, vegetables/fruits, unsalted nuts and bloodworms.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
2 Months, unknown species (PP?)

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
He buried for two weeks as soon as I got him, and he looks bigger so I'm assuming he molted.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon, some sort of plastic lid with lights attached for viewing

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3, all around one inch tall and wide

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3, definitely getting a lot more soon.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean, water dishes are cleaned twice a week, food every 2 days, and i scoop dropped food I find.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
None.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
None.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I was watching my hermit crab climb up some netting, until he fell and his back leg bent at a weird angle. He seemed shocked for a couple seconds, and began to roam around the tank after. His "injured" leg didn't seem to bother the crab every time he took a step, but after, he's half buried near some plants. Should I be concerned?

Motörcrab

Re: Injured Leg from Fall

Post by Motörcrab » Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 am

I'm not sure how/if hermit crabs feel pain compared to us. Your crab could have been stunned like like if we bump, twist, or over extend a body part.

If the leg didn't break off your crab should be ok. If the leg gives any problems the crab will drop the limb and regrow a new one.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LlamaSeal

Post by LlamaSeal » Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 am
I'm not sure how/if hermit crabs feel pain compared to us. Your crab could have been stunned like like if we bump, twist, or over extend a body part.

If the leg didn't break off your crab should be ok. If the leg gives any problems the crab will drop the limb and regrow a new one.
That makes me feel much better! The leg did not fall off so I’ll let him do his thing.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 am

Motor answered your question, but just a couple of things I noticed from your emergency template. Your planned upgrades of deeper sub and more shells is great. Be sure to check out the 'food' and the 'water' care sheets. Crabs need a varied diet, which includes sources of protein and calcium daily. And while your water won't harm the crabs, it also won't provide all the minerals they require long term. Bottled water is a bit of an unknown; using tap water and a dechlorinator such as Prime will be cheaper an safer in the long run. Then use a marine salt for the salt water pool, such as instant Ocean.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LlamaSeal

Post by LlamaSeal » Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 am
Motor answered your question, but just a couple of things I noticed from your emergency template. Your planned upgrades of deeper sub and more shells is great. Be sure to check out the 'food' and the 'water' care sheets. Crabs need a varied diet, which includes sources of protein and calcium daily. And while your water won't harm the crabs, it also won't provide all the minerals they require long term. Bottled water is a bit of an unknown; using tap water and a dechlorinator such as Prime will be cheaper an safer in the long run. Then use a marine salt for the salt water pool, such as instant Ocean.
Thank you, I’ll be sure to purchase them as soon as quarantine and stuff gets sorted out.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi there :) I second all of the recommendations that Curlysister mentioned. You also want to make sure that your substrate is mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make it sandcastle consistency.

I also wanted to mention that a vast majority of products marketed for hermit crabs are not safe for them. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us! That is what we are here for :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com