Ants!! Pin worms!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
nataliextodd

Ants!! Pin worms!!

Post by nataliextodd » Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Eco earth and play sand. Not the correct ratio, more eco earth than sand to help the springtails and isopods, as well as the seed I give them to scavenge. I have small crabs but 6-8 inches depending on the area they’re in.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Temp gauge and humidity gauge on both ends of the tank. Temps always above 78. Humidity never drops below 94.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. Heat pad along the entire back of the tank with a thermostat regulator.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt water pools both provided. I mix my own salt water and I check the salt water regularly with my gauge thingy (sorry don’t know what that’s called lol) and I use aqueoun water conditioner.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Food bowl is filled to the top (small kidney dish). They are provided with crab street journals food she makes in small packs. They have fresh and dry food. I have too many options to list here but can if needed. I replace the food once its almost gone or every week depending on how much they eat.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I have 3 crabs rescued from a pet store. Not sure the species. I’ve had them since August or September 2019.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

All crabs have melted at least twice. All crabs got done molting a few weeks ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

I have 20 gal long with glass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 smalls.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

I have a shell shop in the tank that has around 15 shells in it.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I spot clean poop when I see it and clean the glass.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges!! Water dishes are filled up with clean water every other day and the dishes cleaned completely once a week. I just scrub them with hot water.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Nothing new in two months.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I noticed pin worms in the tank about a weekish ago. But today I noticed loads of ants in the food bowl. All crabs were not molting so I put them in a little critter keeper with a little substrate. (Waiting for further instructions from you guys) I took EVERYTHING out of the tank. I’m currently debating throwing all substrate out. I have it about half emptied. I’m Clorox wiping all walls and tables and everything near them then will scrub with hot water and leave them out for a few days to make sure no ants. Just curious what I need to do from here.

SnipSnapDad

Re: Ants!! Pin worms!!

Post by SnipSnapDad » Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 pm

Definitely a smart move getting your crabbies out of there and beginning a clean. I'd like to ask on average how long the same food is in the bowl before they almost finish it? You mentioned it's changed out at least once a week, but it may make detecting pests a bit more difficult than it would be if the food was changed out every other day or so. I wish I could offer something on the pinworm issue, I'd probably change out the whole of the substrate. Wishing you luck, sorry you and your crabs are having this issue.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 17, 2020 11:37 pm

I replied in bold with GB :)
nataliextodd wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Eco earth and play sand. Not the correct ratio, more eco earth than sand to help the springtails and isopods, as well as the seed I give them to scavenge. I have small crabs but 6-8 inches depending on the area they’re in.

GB: I just want to let you know that springtails and isopods do just fine in the 5:1 ratio of playsand to ecoearth :) You can add more sand if you wanted. Substrate should be 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). It should also be mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make the substrate sandcastle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Temp gauge and humidity gauge on both ends of the tank. Temps always above 78. Humidity never drops below 94.

GB: I personally recommend the minimum heat to be 80. I think 78 would be okay at night.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. Heat pad along the entire back of the tank with a thermostat regulator.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt water pools both provided. I mix my own salt water and I check the salt water regularly with my gauge thingy (sorry don’t know what that’s called lol) and I use aqueoun water conditioner.

GB: I'm not familiar with aqueon water conditioner. As long as it removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals that is fine. A lot of us use a product called Prime. What kind of salt do you use? As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. A lot of us use a product called Instant Ocean which is what aquarium hobbyists use to make saltwater aquariums. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. :) You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Food bowl is filled to the top (small kidney dish). They are provided with crab street journals food she makes in small packs. They have fresh and dry food. I have too many options to list here but can if needed. I replace the food once its almost gone or every week depending on how much they eat.

GB: That is fine, but you are better to replace the food more often so they don't get bored. They can eat a lot of the things that you eat. Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers. Also provide calcium sources at all times.
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I have 3 crabs rescued from a pet store. Not sure the species. I’ve had them since August or September 2019.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

All crabs have melted at least twice. All crabs got done molting a few weeks ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

I have 20 gal long with glass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 smalls.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

I have a shell shop in the tank that has around 15 shells in it.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I spot clean poop when I see it and clean the glass.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges!! Water dishes are filled up with clean water every other day and the dishes cleaned completely once a week. I just scrub them with hot water.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Nothing new in two months.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I noticed pin worms in the tank about a weekish ago. But today I noticed loads of ants in the food bowl. All crabs were not molting so I put them in a little critter keeper with a little substrate. (Waiting for further instructions from you guys) I took EVERYTHING out of the tank. I’m currently debating throwing all substrate out. I have it about half emptied. I’m Clorox wiping all walls and tables and everything near them then will scrub with hot water and leave them out for a few days to make sure no ants. Just curious what I need to do from here.
GB: The worms are probably maggots or nematodes. All substrate can be baked to be saved if you don't want to throw it out. Boil tank decor and empty shells so if there are any ant eggs they die. Remove food sources during the day since hermit crabs are mainly active during the night.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 am

You can also create a strip of olive oil or petroleum jelly along the outside sides of the tank to discourage ants from climbing up and in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk