New molt

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Andythecrab

New molt

Post by Andythecrab » Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
4 parts sand 1 part dirt

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes in the upper right corner. reads 78/80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
heat light and floor heater

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
ocean salt mix and store bought declor

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
fruit and worms

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 years
purple pincher

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
first time 3 days ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon with glass holed lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 medium crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
every other month

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no it is rinsed with water

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
take it out once a week to the garden outside where it is in an enclosed area to free roam

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I was little to know that my crab was molting. I picked him up and noticed he was hanging out of his shell. I realized then that he was molting and put him back very quickly but gently into and isolated part of the tank. The next day after he molted he was dragging himself around with only one leg and his 2 claws. He hasnt moved since. There are egg shells and his exo right next to him along with salt water and pure water. He is isolated and im fairly sure not in danger since the other crab just dug down into the ground. Just worried on what to do with him now.

Topic author
Andythecrab

Re: New molt

Post by Andythecrab » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 am

Sub is about 5-7 inch deep

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi there! I replied GB and in bold :butterfly::
Andythecrab wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
4 parts sand 1 part dirt

GB: When you say dirt what kind of dirt? You don't want to just use dirt from outside. How deep is it? Substrate should be 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). It should also be mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make the substrate sandcastle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes in the upper right corner. reads 78/80

GB: Is this digital or analog? Is the temp 78 and humidity 80?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
heat light and floor heater

GB: I personally don't like heat lights - they can really make your humidity evaporate fast. When you say floor heater, do you mean you are keeping the heat mat on the floor of the tank? As crabbers, we put these on the back or sides of our tanks to heat the air. :)

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
ocean salt mix and store bought declor

GB: Okay - are your pools deep enough for your crabs to fully submerge themselves and safely get out of?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
fruit and worms

GB: Fruit and worms really aren't enough. Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers. You also need to always provide calcium sources at all times (cuttlebone, eggshell, lobster exol, shrimp exo)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 years
purple pincher

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
first time 3 days ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon with glass holed lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 medium crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
every other month

GB: You really don't have to do anything other than scoop poop, change food and water regularly :)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no it is rinsed with water

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
take it out once a week to the garden outside where it is in an enclosed area to free roam

GB: This really isn't recommended. Hermit crabs are prey animals - and they also need humidity to breathe. Of course it is your animal, and you are free to do as you wish with it.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I was little to know that my crab was molting. I picked him up and noticed he was hanging out of his shell. I realized then that he was molting and put him back very quickly but gently into and isolated part of the tank. The next day after he molted he was dragging himself around with only one leg and his 2 claws. He hasnt moved since. There are egg shells and his exo right next to him along with salt water and pure water. He is isolated and im fairly sure not in danger since the other crab just dug down into the ground. Just worried on what to do with him now.

GB: Wait - did he drop claws and legs or is he molting?
If molting - which means he has all of his legs and claws and what he dropped was his exo and it is hollow - Keep isolated, don't handle, give him honey too :) It can take a couple of weeks for this process.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Andythecrab

Post by Andythecrab » Mon May 18, 2020 1:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Hi there! I replied GB and in bold :butterfly::
Three of the legs are not hollow in the exo that he dropped.
He still hasnt moved. :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Okay then your crab is not molting. This is stress related. Your crab might not make it. When crabs are newly purchased and this happens, we call this PPS (Post Purchase Syndrome). Crabs do have the ability to regrow limbs and claws.

What I recommend is to leave the crab alone. Keep crab in 80/80 heat and humidity. Provide the crab with honey, calcium and proteins. Also provide the crab with dechlorinated freshwater and dechlorinated marine saltwater. Do not handle the crab. Provide the crab with a place to hide. No matter what - don't handle the crab. I know it will be tempting - but don't. Give the crab 1-2 weeks. You can switch out the proteins. Don't mist the crab. You are wanting to keep stress level down for the crab.

I recommend trying to fix the suggestions mentioned in the emergency template. Best wishes! Please let me know if you have any questions!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com