What are they doing?!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
KillerKiwis

What are they doing?!

Post by KillerKiwis » Mon May 25, 2020 6:03 pm

ImageSince you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Dark grey sand, 2 inches (temporary)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

No, in their bigger tank the temp stays 65 at night and 75 to 80 in the morning

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Heat lamp

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Saltwater hermit crabs, so they stay under saltwater at all times. I get my water from the ocean, because I captured mine myself. When I'm in a tight squeeze, ocean salt from pet stores works well too.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Boiled shrimp, spinach, lettuce, ham or turkey cutlets, small banana chunks for a treat

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

1 year, and not sure.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

About 3 months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon tank with a glass lid, a hole cut to fit the lamp for humidity and heat

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

4 about the size of half your palm

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

10 to 15

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

Nope

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Every month and a half, rinse with freshwater and boil any shells.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

Nope

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Nope

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Not exactly, a give them fresh food every morning though.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I noticed my crab with ANOTHER crab in it's shell?! Its sitting in there and the second one has it's butt in there, im not sure if he's eating the other one, or they're mating? If I could put a picture that'd be great, but not sure how.

Hermielover121

Re: What are they doing?!

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm

Use the app Tapatalk to put a photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk