Molting?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Hermitkrab78

Molting?

Post by Hermitkrab78 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 am

I was putting in a new hammock in my crabs tank and was about to to clean the water dishes when I picked up the drinking water dish. There I found one of my two crabs with several limbs around him and he him self looked very gray. Photo attached. I have never had a crab molt before and I’ve had them for about 9 months now. I got my one crab Reginald from a fair and the other the one in question Phosphorus for a pet store. Reginald comes out ever night and walks around and eats but I rarely see phosphorus out. I don’t now if he was molting or if he is sick or stressed but I did put him back where I found him just in case he was molting. Also I do try to give them greens and fruit when I can but when I don’t they get hermit crab food. Temp and humidity level are usually good. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting?

Post by curlysister » Sat May 30, 2020 11:09 am

Some of the pieces definitely look like exo. When you say you found him under the water dish, I presume he had a little 'cave' hollowed out for himself. Many people use rubber maid type containers for water dishes, and double them up. That way, if there is someone molting under the dish, they aren't disturbed when you take out the top dish to change the water.
When you put him back, were you able to leave a hollow for him? Did you put the exo pieces back with him?
As for diet, be sure to check the food and nutrition care sheets. They need sources of calcium and protein daily.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermitkrab78

Post by Hermitkrab78 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 am

Yes he did have a little cave dug out for him self and when I put him back i did put him back in his little cave and throw away the parts that that fell off. I will also definitely look at the nutritional chart.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat May 30, 2020 12:27 pm

He needs the calcium from his exo after molting. I think I would remove him from under the water dish and isolate him from any other crabs (you can do this in the main tank if you don't have an iso tank. Give him calcium rich foods. Maybe a bit of salt and fresh water (like a bottle cap of each), and keep him in the dark for a couple of days if you can. Monitor to see when he starts moving around in the iso.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermitkrab78

Post by Hermitkrab78 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 pm

I don’t have a second tank or any thing that I can use to heat a second tank so should I just leave him as he is or move him some where around the tank. I have a fresh water dish and salt water dish should I add smaller ones and I will be adding some calcium rich food. Also sorry took so long to respond just got back from work. Thanks