New crab owner, MY CRAB IS UNRESPONSIVE.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Thefoundingcrabs

New crab owner, MY CRAB IS UNRESPONSIVE.

Post by Thefoundingcrabs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
One side is made up of natural loose coconut bedding soil and the other side is made up of black play sand and natural calcium sand and soil mix. Four inch depth.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, I have temperature gauges on both sides, reading between 75-80 degrees. Humidity between 75-85.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Only when it's cold, a hermit crab heater pad on the back of the tank on the coconut bedding side.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Two bowls of fresh water and one bowl of saltwater, I use the pre mixed hermit crab saltwater and purified bottled water. Replaced daily.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Food replaced daily, a mix of fresh veggies Mostly consisting of spinach, carrots, green bell peppers, and cucumber. Fresh fruits such as mango, peach, green grapes, or cherries(pits removed). I also feed them pulverized egg shells, fish flakes, river shrimp, and crab cake pellets.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About a month, from a pet store. Was very inactive from the day I brought him home.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A 10 gallon tank with a netted lid with a piece of cardboard to keep the humidity up

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
4, small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 5 of different types.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

[i][color=#A9A9A9]12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I scoop out excess food and smooth the substrate daily, and change the coconut bedding every two weeks.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, replaced weekly.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Lava rock and a fake aquatic plant, was acting strange before that.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

[i][color=#A9A9A9]16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Reginald has been very inactive and hasn't gone back into his shell since I got him, but there's no smell. He just hangs out his shell. I've moved him near water but he continues to be unresponsive. He moves his legs very slowly sometimes but not often. I asked the pet smart guy and he said maybe he's just "getting old". I don't understand what is wrong but he isn't eating or drinking or anything!! I have pictures of tank and set up as well as Reginald himself.

curlysister

Re: New crab owner, MY CRAB IS UNRESPONSIVE.

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:09 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
One side is made up of natural loose coconut bedding soil and the other side is made up of black play sand and natural calcium sand and soil mix. Four inch depth.
Curly - I'm not sure what you mean by 'black play sand' or 'soil mix'. Calcium sand is generally not safe for crabs, but some people do leave a small amount mixed in with other sand. Your best bet for substrate is the coconut fiber (often called Eco Earth) mixed with play sand (the regular kind that comes in a 50 pound bag really cheap at a hardware store). The most common ratio is one part EE to 5 parts play sand. It should be about six inches (or three times as deep as your largest crab) deep. And should be moistened with dechlorinated water to be sand castle consistency - holds shape but not so wet that water pools in the bottom.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, I have temperature gauges on both sides, reading between 75-80 degrees. Humidity between 75-85.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Only when it's cold, a hermit crab heater pad on the back of the tank on the coconut bedding side.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Two bowls of fresh water and one bowl of saltwater, I use the pre mixed hermit crab saltwater and purified bottled water. Replaced daily.
Curly - Unfortunately, most things marketed for hermit crabs aren't appropriate. That salt water won't have all the minerals in it that they need. Bottled water is kind of an unknown as well, as it's not regulated. Best bet is to use tap water and treat it with a dechlorinator such as Prime. Then use a marine salt like Instant Ocean to make the salt water with it. Pools should be deep enough that the crabs can submerge but also have a way to climb out.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Food replaced daily, a mix of fresh veggies Mostly consisting of spinach, carrots, green bell peppers, and cucumber. Fresh fruits such as mango, peach, green grapes, or cherries(pits removed). I also feed them pulverized egg shells, fish flakes, river shrimp, and crab cake pellets.
Curly - Be sure to check to see if there are any preservatives in the pellets, most commercial foods are not considered safe.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About a month, from a pet store. Was very inactive from the day I brought him home.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A 10 gallon tank with a netted lid with a piece of cardboard to keep the humidity up
Curly - Plastic wrap/ Saran wrap will hold the humidity in better than cardboard.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
4, small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 5 of different types.
Curly - HCA recommends at least 3-5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to check the 'shells' care sheet to see the proper types to buy.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I scoop out excess food and smooth the substrate daily, and change the coconut bedding every two weeks.
Curly - Once you have proper substrate, you don't need to change it unless there is an emergency such as a flood or bacterial bloom.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, replaced weekly.
Curly - Sponges just harbor bacteria. Remove them from the water. If they are natural sponges, you can offer them dry for the crabs to munch on.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Lava rock and a fake aquatic plant, was acting strange before that.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Reginald has been very inactive and hasn't gone back into his shell since I got him, but there's no smell. He just hangs out his shell. I've moved him near water but he continues to be unresponsive. He moves his legs very slowly sometimes but not often. I asked the pet smart guy and he said maybe he's just "getting old". I don't understand what is wrong but he isn't eating or drinking or anything!! I have pictures of tank and set up as well as Reginald himself.

Curly - Is your crab completely out of it's shell? Or just partly hanging out. There are a few things that need improved in your tank, however many crabs die from PPS (post purchase syndrome) because of the horrible conditions prior to us getting them. Be sure to check out the 'care sheets' for lots of info, including about PPS. If he hasn't moved at all, you could pick him up by the shell - if he falls out completely, he is probably dead.
You can use an image sharing site, or the app Tapatalk to share pictures.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers