Naked crab!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
nataliextodd

Naked crab!!!

Post by nataliextodd » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:35 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth and play sand mix. It’s like 6-8 inches.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. One of each on each side. They read in the correct rebates safe for crabs.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Heat mat placed on back

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I mix my own sea salt and I check it with my sea salt meter thingy

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I fill up their food bowl once a week. I give them various items from crab street journals website.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I’ve had it for 6-7 months and no idea the species.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes it has molted twice since I’ve had it.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass lid, 20 gallon long.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 smalls

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
They have a huge tub in their tank with about 25 shells in it.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I wipe the glass down and spot clean.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I just checked on my crabs this morning and one crab is out of its shell walking around. It’s the biggest crab I have. It was just standing at the entrance to a cork bark tunnel and when it saw me it walked slowly back inside.

Hermielover121

Re: Naked crab!!!

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 am

Put him in ISO right away and try the procedures on here for reshelling him. Health: What to Do When a Crab Is Out of Its Shell
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app. Try to not touch him and give him lots of honey. I’m sorry I don’t know what else to do hopefully someone with more experience will help. I hope he recovers soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Naked crab!!!

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:13 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth and play sand mix. It’s like 6-8 inches.
Curly - Is it moistened to sand castle consistency?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. One of each on each side. They read in the correct rebates safe for crabs.
Curly - I recently saw someone using a hygrometer that had the 'safe' zone around 50% or less. Do you know what the 'safe zone' is on your gauges? The heat should be between 75-85 and the humidity should be over 75%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Heat mat placed on back

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I mix my own sea salt and I check it with my sea salt meter thingy
Curly - What brand of dechlorinator do you use? What brand of marine salt?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I fill up their food bowl once a week. I give them various items from crab street journals website.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I’ve had it for 6-7 months and no idea the species.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes it has molted twice since I’ve had it.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass lid, 20 gallon long.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 smalls

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
They have a huge tub in their tank with about 25 shells in it.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I wipe the glass down and spot clean.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I just checked on my crabs this morning and one crab is out of its shell walking around. It’s the biggest crab I have. It was just standing at the entrance to a cork bark tunnel and when it saw me it walked slowly back inside.
Curly - A crab goes naked when it is too weak to carry it's shell. It will die if not re-shelled. See the care sheet below for info on how to get a crab back into a shell, and possible causes of it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=122302
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers