Larvae/Maggots in the tank

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
SophPhist

Larvae/Maggots in the tank

Post by SophPhist » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Mostly Eco Earth Substrate with some Sand mixed in about 8 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? No

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, heat lamp.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Salt Water and Fresh Water bowl

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? We usually feed the Crabbies fresh foods; Pineapple, Spinach, Apples. The last week or so we've been giving them store bought hermit crab food though

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? About a month and a half now. Not sure.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Possibly molting now.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon aquarium, with mesh lid. I've been keeping in the humidity with saran wrap over the top

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 small Hermit Crabs, about 1 1/2 in. shell included.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 6 or 7 shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't cleaned the tank since we've setup.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I looked in the tank about 15 mins ago, and noticed several maggot/ larvae looking worms coming from the substrate. The crabs have been buried for a few days now, and I'm not sure if they're molting so I don't know if I should disturb them to change the substrate out. I've had a little fruit fly issue in my house because of some spoiled fruit on my kitchen, and I think they might have gotten into the tank.

What should I do?? I'm freaking out, it's so gross. Any help would be much appreciated!!! Can I try to spray the substrate down with salt water?? I've heard that salt water will kill them.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Larvae/Maggots in the tank

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:34 pm

the larvae is probably coming from the food source you have in the tank. If all of your crabs are down, just feed dry foods. I will address your emergency template now. :) Welcome to the HCA!

Edit: no, do not spray marine saltwater on the substrate.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! I answered your questions with GB for GotButterflies :)
SophPhist wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:15 pm
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Mostly Eco Earth Substrate with some Sand mixed in about 8 inches deep.

GB: Substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make the substrate sandcastle consistency. I personally mix mine with dechlorinated marine saltwater.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? No

GB: This is important. You need to know what the humidity and the temperature is for your crabs. :) IMO, minimum heat and humidity should be 80/80. Hermit crabs have modified gills and need the humidity to breathe.
You can buy an Acurite guage from Amazon, digital, runs on batteries, tells you temp and humidity currently as well as low and high for last 24 hours: https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00325- ... 184&sr=8-2

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes, heat lamp.

GB: Hermit crabs have modified gills, and need humidity to breathe. IMO heat lamps are terrible at making the humidity evaporate, so I personally do not like them. A vast majority of crabbers use the ultratherms to heat the air instead of heat lamps. We use them on the back of the tanks to heat the air and not on the bottom of the tanks.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Salt Water and Fresh Water bowl

GB: A lot of us use a product called Instant Ocean which is what aquarium hobbyists use to make saltwater aquariums. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. :) You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? We usually feed the Crabbies fresh foods; Pineapple, Spinach, Apples. The last week or so we've been giving them store bought hermit crab food though

GB: Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at a time. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? About a month and a half now. Not sure.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Possibly molting now.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon aquarium, with mesh lid. I've been keeping in the humidity with saran wrap over the top

GB: With mesh lids you can also cover them with Press-N-Seal, or tape Ziploc bags on them to help keep the humidty in. I personally love glass tops. Please note that with glass tops you cannot set heat lamps on them – it will cause the glass to crack.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 small Hermit Crabs, about 1 1/2 in. shell included.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 6 or 7 shells

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't cleaned the tank since we've setup.

GB: It is only necessary to clean out the poop, food and water.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I looked in the tank about 15 mins ago, and noticed several maggot/ larvae looking worms coming from the substrate. The crabs have been buried for a few days now, and I'm not sure if they're molting so I don't know if I should disturb them to change the substrate out. I've had a little fruit fly issue in my house because of some spoiled fruit on my kitchen, and I think they might have gotten into the tank.

What should I do?? I'm freaking out, it's so gross. Any help would be much appreciated!!! Can I try to spray the substrate down with salt water?? I've heard that salt water will kill them.

GB: I would just scoop out the maggots with a spoon. Don't feed fresh foods - try to only feed dry for a week or so, and only do so during nocturnal hours. No, do not spray marine saltwater on the substrate.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Mlavoie

Post by Mlavoie » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:37 pm

I got back from vacation and I now have have fruit fly eggs attached to everything! I can't tell yet if they are ready hatched or not, but how do I get it off the shells and the plants etc. I'm not sure how to post a picture but ya...