Crab has begun attacking other crab to take shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Pagurus

Crab has begun attacking other crab to take shell

Post by Pagurus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm

A few days ago, both of my crabs came up from their molt at the same time. Yesterday, one of my purple pincher crabs has begun to be highly aggressive to my other crab that is in my tank. He has started to grab on to my other crab's shell a few times now and every time he does, the crab that is being attacked has started chirping loudly, and I have never heard any of my crabs chirp ever, and I have had both of them for almost 3 years now so I am very worried about this. He is currently inside a Tulip Snail shell and is trying to take the Turbo Snail shell that my other crab is residing in. I've looked through almost every store in my town to find turbo shells that were the same size as the one my other crab is in. I thought this would work but he hasn't changed his mind for any of them. I've watched him swap into them for a little while, but after around 30 minutes, he always just goes back to his original shell and tries to take the shell of the other crab again. I'm really starting to get worried because I can't find any more shells for sale that would work near me and I've had to separate them from each other 2 times now today.

FJrocks003

Re: Crab has begun attacking other crab to take shell

Post by FJrocks003 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Please fill out the full emergency form or will won't be sure on how to help. For now you should separate them, maybe you have another tank you could set up temporarily? Give both of them lots of shells around their size and make sure the conditions are perfect to encourage them. I'm sure someone more experienced will come with more advise soon. :)
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm

To me, it sounds like shell envy. Getting new shells (particuarlly turbos) would help diffuse the aggression.

Have you considered buying online and getting the shell shipped to you? There's many shell vendors to choose from, and many members talk highly about Richard's shells and Naples name a couple. (Hopefully other members can share their experiences)

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 2&t=119315

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by aussieJJDude on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrong link - woops
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 am

Try reboiling the turbo shells you do have for a couple of minutes, and then dipping the shells in saltwater when they cool, before putting them back. This can trick them into thinking the shells are new, and the saltwater attracts them to go shopping. Might work!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram