Hermit crabs not moving or eating or drinking, and hiding all day

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Hermit crab lover 37

Hermit crabs not moving or eating or drinking, and hiding all day

Post by Hermit crab lover 37 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:54 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? I use play sand from home depot, and it is 6-10 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? I have a thermometer, and a thermometer hygrometer both analog and located on the wall. 80 and 75-80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Not sure it classes as a heat source but I have a double bulb lamp for artificial sun light

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? They get dechlorinated salt and fresh water. As for brands or ratios I don't know, I'm using premixed water from the previous owner.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I feed them, depending on day,, various fruits, greens, chicken. Shrimp,beef, grains, cereal, popcorn,

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I don't know what species they are but I've had them for 1-3 months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? No

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? There in a 50 gallon acrylic aquarium, with a plastic two piece lid with Handel on each half.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? There are two crabs one is about 3 or 4 inches tall and the other is about half that size

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Dozens.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

[i][color=#A9A9A9]12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Once a week with one of those scoops for crabs that looks like a kitty litter scoop.

[i][color=#A9A9A9]13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? 3, rinsing with warm water

[i][color=#A9A9A9]14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? A false rock tower

[i][color=#A9A9A9]15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

[i][color=#A9A9A9]16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I haven't seen them move or eat or drink in about two and a half weeks. They can still move fine, as if I pick them up they move back to hiding. They prefer staying in their corner behind there Coconut hut.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crabs not moving or eating or drinking, and hiding all day

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 pm

They’re probably just comfortable there. New crabs aren’t always super active and may not be adventurous until they are more accustomed to their surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 pm

Nothing major jumping out in your tank conditions.
I would check on the brand of salt water - most pre-mixed salt waters are not appropriate, even tho they say they are for crabs.
Get rid of the sponges from the water bowls, they just harbor bacteria.
Also be sure to check out the care sheet on nutrition, crabs require protein and calcium daily.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Megan67A

Post by Megan67A » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:55 am

Hi, that does not sounds good at all, i hope your crabs are doing good today!

Topic author
Hermit crab lover 37

Post by Hermit crab lover 37 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:20 pm

There both starting to move around the enclosure and show drastically increased appetite and bathing. Think it was post purchase trauma