Unknown mass on crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
agc123

Unknown mass on crab

Post by agc123 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:37 pm

[/img][/img]Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
coconut soil, ~5 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
75% humidity, 70-75 degrees

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heating pad attached to one side of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh and salt water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
hermit crab variety diet and a mineral block. Variety diet replaced every 3-5 days

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had it for 11 months, unknown species

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon terrarium with screen lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, they are 2-2.5 inches

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
wash the water and food dishes with water once or twice a week, substrate was fully replaced recently

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

When taking my crab out to hold, I noticed a gelatinous looking thing on it. Not sure what it is and worried it might be a parasite.

PuddKitty

Re: Unknown mass on crab

Post by PuddKitty » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:25 pm

It looks like he’s missing a leg right there and that’s his limb not a parasite. It should grow back after he molts
Mommy of 2 Beautiful Princesses, A Clan Of Royal Hermies, 1 King Bearded Dragon (Boomie) & A Guard Leopard Gecko (Melly) 💕🥳

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Yes, that's known as a gel limb. Regenerating a limb is a complex process and to speed it up, they often form the base for the new limb over time while still above ground. When they next molt it will form into a complete - although usually undersized and funny colored - leg or claw.

He looks due to molt really soon!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 pm

A few suggestions below.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
coconut soil, ~5 inches deep
Curly - Is your sub moistened so that it holds shape? If your crabs are 2.5 inches, you may need a bit more sub to ensure it is three times as deep as your largest crab.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
75% humidity, 70-75 degrees
Curly - Those are pretty much the minumums for both heat and humidity. You could consider covering your screen with plastic wrap and possibly some insulation either on the top or sides.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, a heating pad attached to one side of the tank

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh and salt water
Curly - What brands of dechlorinator and salt do you use?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
hermit crab variety diet and a mineral block. Variety diet replaced every 3-5 days
Curly - Most commercial foods are not safe due to the additives. Crabs also require a source of calcium and protein daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had it for 11 months, unknown species

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon terrarium with screen lid
Curly - If you need to bring up your humidity, you can cover the top with saran wrap.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, they are 2-2.5 inches

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Curly - HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
wash the water and food dishes with water once or twice a week, substrate was fully replaced recently
Curly - If you have proper substrate, you never need to fully replace it unless you have a flood or bacterial bloom.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

When taking my crab out to hold, I noticed a gelatinous looking thing on it. Not sure what it is and worried it might be a parasite.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers