Found “Molting” Hermit Crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermit_crab_mommy

Found “Molting” Hermit Crab

Post by hermit_crab_mommy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Play sand and eco earth. 6 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes. They are right in the middle and about 80 degrees and humidity 80%-85%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. A heat pad on the side of the tank. There is also a heat lamp that I keep 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh water and salt water. I have prime and instant ocean now but what I’ve been using is premade water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

3 hermit crab foods with no bad ingredients and cuttlebone and a new fruit or vegetable or protein or calcium food from the approved list everyday.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

About 3 weeks I’ve had the crabs. It’s pp.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

I thought it was molting this past week but I don’t think it was now.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

A 10 gallon glass tank with a mesh lid with saran-wrap on about half.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 very small crabs.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

About 20
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Change of foods and waters daily. I pick up pieces of food thrown around when I see it.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

Yes. Warm water, microwave, and warm water again.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Yes. New shells today and cholla wood and cuttlebone and a crab coconut den. I got a bunch of new stuff for them today.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

I do handle them. I take them out for a bit each day and they seem to love it. They are more active when not in tank.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

I got a lot of new stuff for my crabs today but my tank is pretty small. I took my two crabs that I knew weren’t molting and put them in a cardboard box with their toys and stuff so I can rearrange and make things fit better. I thought I knew the spot where my molting crab was and wasn’t going to mess with it but when I moved my fresh water dish, he was under it. When I saw him, I put it back down but I don’t know what to do. He’s about ground but under water dish and it doesn’t look like he’s molting. I change water everyday and he wasn’t there yesterday. I don’t know what to do now. I’m worried I bothered him and don’t know how to change water with him there.
New owner of 3 purple pinchers who I love