Hermit crab has lost one entire claw and has some wounds

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
C. aura

Post by C. aura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Substrate is sand mixed with coconut husk and salt water. Depth is about 6". They are in a 40 gallon tank.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do, but I am not where the crabs are right now.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Light, Reptile under tank heater under tank and on side of tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water offered all the time. Spring water from the grocery store, instant ocean mixed with distilled water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Fed three times/week (at least) Variety of foods mostly from the Hermit Crab Patch.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had two of the crabs for eight years, another for 5 year. The injured crab is 8 yo.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
The crab has molted multiple times, last time was in the winter.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
40 gallon glass tank, glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two 8 year olds, one 5 year old

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3 or 4, fox shells are all they will use. Recently put in two larger shells.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I change everything yearly, and spot clean when fed three time/wk. It seems someone is always under the sand molting I am planning on setting them up in a larger tank once the hermit who is under emerges.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
The crab do not need sponges as they are large crabs

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I did have an aquarium stump in the tank, but it was too tall so I removed it after about a week. This is about the time she lost the claw, but the claw was not near the stump.
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
The hermit crabs live in my classroom. I am open to all suggestions

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
The hermit crab lost one of her claws completely (photo shows claw) and she also has two injuries to her claws (photo shows injury). I don't know if I should separate her because of a fight or if it could be nutritional. I am also concerned about infection.

Topic author
C. aura

Re: Hermit crab has lost one entire claw and has some wounds

Post by C. aura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Obviously, I do not know how to post a photo.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Do you offer food every day? I wasn't sure if you meant you replaced food every 3 days or only offered them food every 3 days. Are you offering protein and calcium daily? Make sure to keep those in the tank at all times. Not enough protein can cause crabs to attack each other.

HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab, so you'd want to have a minimum of 6 shells for both crabs.

What are the usual humidity and temp ranges?

Imo, it sounds like there may have been a fight, since your one crab has multiple injuries. If so, you will need to separate them asap.

Edit: Your heating pads should not be placed under the tank. They should always be placed on the back or sides above the substrate line. The goal is to heat the air and not the substrate.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm

You can post photos using the Tapatalk app. Or, you can "share" your photo from your album by creating a link, and then sharing that link with us.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
C. aura

Post by C. aura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Here are the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by C. aura on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
C. aura

Post by C. aura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:02 pm

C. aura wrote:Here are the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
C. aura

Post by C. aura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Thank you for your help. I generally feed them Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with enough food for a couple of days. They get a variety of food, and do get at least one source of protein, usually two.

I will get injured crab out of the tank in the morning. She is the largest crab. Will she have to stay out permanently? Is there any treatment that may help?

I will check the tank tomorrow, I knew that about the heat source, so there may be nothing underneath.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:02 pm

C. aura wrote:Thank you for your help. I generally feed them Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with enough food for a couple of days. They get a variety of food, and do get at least one source of protein, usually two.

I will get injured crab out of the tank in the morning. She is the largest crab. Will she have to stay out permanently? Is there any treatment that may help?

I will check the tank tomorrow, I knew that about the heat source, so there may be nothing underneath.

You're welcome. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I would try offering at least 3 protein sources of you can, since you're offering 1-2 at the moment. It may not be enough. Maybe try having 2 separate dishes with some protein on each dish so the crabbies don't have to compete for food in one spot. I have 7 crabs, and have 2 dishes so they can spread out a bit.

I'd keep her in iso until any noticable injuries heal up. She will regrow the limb on her next molt. I wouldn't try putting her in with the attacking crab until she is healed up, and the other crab has had his fill of protein and calcium. When you place them together, keep a good eye on them if you can. If the other crab attacks again, you may have to separate them permanently.

The best thing you can do for both crabs is keep them in good conditions like you're doing. Honey is a healing food, so if you can offer her some organic/local honey, that would be great.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 pm

I was rereading your posts, did you mention the other crab was molting? I was thinking this was a fight because there was a dropped limb and injuries. But if you're sure the other crab is molting, it could be a nutrition issue. If that's the case, I would still offer more protein choices, extra food dishes, and lots of calcium and honey. But I would think you wouldn't have to isolate her if this wasn't an attack.

I'm hoping maybe someone else will jump in with their thoughts too.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:19 am

sorry to jump in here but like everyone else has said he should be okay after being in isolation for a while and after his next molt he will grow his leg back and if it was a fight they had and if you put them back together i would for sure keep a good eye on them just to make sure it doesn’t happen again and if does permanently separate them
also i like the etsy shop hermieskitchen you can get all sorts of foods from different food categories
also crazy fact i only had a crab drop his big pincher claw and a few months later he molted and it grew back and he’s as healthy and ever!!