Missing Crab, 48 hours gone almost

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Missing Crab, 48 hours gone almost

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:21 pm

It's been 24+ hours since my smallest crab Shinobu went missing. The other day at roughly 1-2am I was up very shortly and decided to clean around the tank before I heard a solid object hitting on the floor, I was tired and just assumed it was a spare shell I had out and I'd find it in the morning. Next day late at night I noticed Shinobu was missing ( one of my newer additions and they're very small. they're about the sized of shelled-in peanut. ) I saw absolutely no signs of molting and I was quick to check everywhere in the tank that I could and completely went through the substrate to no avail, and then came to the conclusion that they escaped via the tank lid. ( There's a few big holes on top of the lid that I very generously sealed up with tape, they must've somehow gotten through the tape )

My room is generously sized and there's plenty of hiding spaces for such a small crab, I wouldn't want to think they already managed to escape from my room and is probably tucked up in a corner somewhere, and just to make sure if they left my room I checked our bathroom which is naturally the most moist area in the house. I feel an incredible amount of stupidity and guilt; before I went to bed last night I placed out dried coconut and shrimp on the floor and made a temporary moist hide on the floor with no avail, and I really want to find them- I've been too embarrassed to tell anyone else in my family yet.

I need advice on how I can get them to come out, please anyone.

CrabbyLover77

Re: Missing Crab, 48 hours gone almost

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Have you ever given your crabs popcorn? My crabs go nuts for it. I'd put out little piles of popcorn to try and lure him out. Put out water dishes too. And I would def tell your family so they don't step on him and can start looking too. Maybe keep your room dark so he feels safer and will come out. Good luck, fingers crossed!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:06 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for those who's read this post- I just found shinobu's shell tonight but I did not find them with it. I presumed them to be deceased and to those who are aware of my other crab Iwao who passed away due to this mysterious circumstances last late may, I buried Shinobu near them underneath our japanese maple.

I know there will be people expressing their condolences, but I entirely accept responsibility for this one.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 am

Xenpurgisn@cht wrote:Hi everyone. Thanks for those who's read this post- I just found shinobu's shell tonight but I did not find them with it. I presumed them to be deceased and to those who are aware of my other crab Iwao who passed away due to this mysterious circumstances last late may, I buried Shinobu near them underneath our japanese maple.

I know there will be people expressing their condolences, but I entirely accept responsibility for this one.
Did you find his shell in the tank? So he didn't escape? I'm sorry.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:45 am

No, I found his shell outside the tank, directly under my desk by one of the outlet strips that I have my computer by; I found their shell ( don't know the gender due to how tiny they was, so I went with shinobu, the japanese gender neutral name for endurance! ) but no body. I haven't found any body nor have smelt anything dead, but due to how small they are I couldn't even be sure if the smell would've even been potent enough for me to smell.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:53 am

Xenpurgisn@cht wrote:No, I found his shell outside the tank, directly under my desk by one of the outlet strips that I have my computer by; I found their shell ( don't know the gender due to how tiny they was, so I went with shinobu, the japanese gender neutral name for endurance! ) but no body. I haven't found any body nor have smelt anything dead, but due to how small they are I couldn't even be sure if the smell would've even been potent enough for me to smell.
I wonder if Shinobu is still in your room somewhere hiding, but I can understand why you'd think he was gone because he dropped his shell. Someone on here adopted a crab that had went missing at the previous owner's house for 6 weeks, but was found again safe in the basement. I know it's a long shot, but it can happen. Sorry you had to go through all this.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I would leave his shell out in a shallow bowl of saltwater, maybe that will get him to come back for his shell and maybe some shrimp or some other stinky food that they like. If we can get him to come back to his shell then there could still be a chance. I am so sorry, don’t be so hard on yourself though, accidents happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Sadly it was already been 72+ hours since I found their shell, and for basically a day and a half I tried putting out a moist hide and food, ranging from coconut chunks and dried shrimp, and even an entire piece of sliced ham. It didn't worked, also, I found the shell tucked into the corner of one of my large outlet strips, and the shell opening was directly on the floor; also since then we've had our dog come into our room ( mostly eating the food I laid out ) so as much as I hope the worst didn't happen and they didn't got eaten, I haven't smelt any odors, no dropped pieces of exo, or anything else that indiciates they're still around, I assumed they are sadly gone.