VERY lethargic crab, no longer moving.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Neleono

VERY lethargic crab, no longer moving.

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:01 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

5:1 sand to ee ratio (6in deep)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Average of 75-80 humidity and 80 Fahrenheit (located at the bottom near substrate.)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

No heat source used

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt water, instant ocean reef crystals for salt, both are purified by aqua safe plus.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Different fruits, veggies, freeze dried mealworms and grasshoppers, other assorted foods

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I have a pp for about 4-5 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Only once about 3 months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gal tank with mesh wire lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

He’s the only one left right now, only an inch and a half in size.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

7 shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Spot cleaning and scrubbing the outside of the tank with a damp towel

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

None

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

Nothing new until today, I replaced the sub strait this morning

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

None

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

This all happened about 3 days ago when I saw him just sitting on in the open area and thought nothing of it. I was gone for few hours and I came back into his room to look at him and he hadn’t moved. Once again I thought nothing of it because it was still day. I went to bed and the next day he hadn’t moved. I looked on my camera and had no footage of the night before. I thought it was strange but still didn’t pay it much attention. Same thing happened the next day, no movement in the day, none at night. Tonight I still haven’t had anything. Any idea of what’s going on? Anything I can do to get him to move again? Is there a solution or can all I do is cross my fingers he’ll improve. Something that might help is that I did see a few moths in the tank, every few days there would be one and this has been happening for the past week or so. I always let them out and ge t them out side but is this by chance causing it? As of today he is unresponsive. He used to move in his shell when I picked him up but leading up to today he is getting less and less movement. Now he won’t Even move when I touch his legs. I’ve tried putting him in different places every day, by the food next to the water, on the sphagnum moss, nothing worked. Please give any info if you can!

Thanks,
Neleono.

Xenpurgisn@cht

Re: VERY lethargic crab, no longer moving.

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:54 am

I would like some more clarification on how you're reading the temperature in your tank, you say you have something on the ''bottom''- do you have one of those temperature gauges where you have to stick a wire in the tank?

Also the fact you don't have a heat source in the tank makes me concerned, you listed 80 degrees but when is it 80 degrees? Is it all the time? or is it during peak hours during the day? Tanks generally are warmer during the day, and even if you live in a naturally warm area year-round ( such as southern flordia ) you still need a heat source for your tank, unless you have an entire room dedicated to your pets and keep the heat going on in there, you're more then likely keeping your pets in a room with the AC going. It sounds like you're generally doing most things right but he actually might be suffering from the lack of constant heat.

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:08 am

I have a thermometer/hydrometer next to the bottom (near the substrate) and it’s like a box shape. Also, I live in Arizona so the average of 80 is maintained all day never dropping below 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 am

Also, the first thing I thought of was humidity and temp so I just bought another gauge, just in case the one I’m using isn’t working or something.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:19 am

you can try and give him some healing foods like things high in calcium or lots of us use honey
and since he seems like a small crab maybe he’s preparing to molt i’m not sure tho

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:31 am

If I were to get a heating pad anyways, can I use something like a shoulder heat pad or will I need a specific kind of pad? Will the heating pad I have work for the moment until I can get a real one?

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:32 am

crabs_lex wrote:you can try and give him some healing foods like things high in calcium or lots of us use honey
and since he seems like a small crab maybe he’s preparing to molt i’m not sure tho
The only problem is that he won’t eat... ever.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am

hm i’m sorry
and you said he wasn’t moving for how long? a few days?

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 am

crabs_lex wrote:hm i’m sorry
and you said he wasn’t moving for how long? a few days?
He stoped walking around about 4 days ago and is completely unresponsive as of yesterday... mentally prepared for the worst at this point, just hope he’s not suffering.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

i’m not sure
when this happened to me the crab went naked and u could tell he was very sick and did end up passing
i would just wait it out and see
maybe put some fresh food in the tank and put it by him maybe he’ll smell it and perk up

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:08 am

crabs_lex wrote:i’m not sure
when this happened to me the crab went naked and u could tell he was very sick and did end up passing
i would just wait it out and see
maybe put some fresh food in the tank and put it by him maybe he’ll smell it and perk up
I’ve tried that, no luck. I’ve had a few people tell me that their crabs did that and didn’t end up living so that helped surprisingly make it easier knowing the chances were low, just unfortunate.

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 pm

i’m sorry i don’t know what there is to do other than wait and see
keep me updated

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm

crabs_lex wrote:i’m sorry i don’t know what there is to do other than wait and see
keep me updated
I will give updates, thanks for everything! I really appreciate it.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Unfortunately, if he is not responding at all, he may have passed away. There is nothing that stands out as needing improvement in your conditions. They do need a source of calcium daily. Even after their first molt, they can succumb to PPS.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:00 am

Thanks, I know it’s sad for me but I like hard info compared to false hope.